Dates and booking
Birmingham / Bromsgrove training centres
Reading training centre
Advanced InDesign training course teaching existing users enhanced skills, to power-user level.
In this course, we delve deeper to explore various powerful but seldom discussed InDesign features that will prove invaluable whether you are a layout artist or a graphic designer. The techniques you will learn include:
- Handling colour with confidence.
- Harnessing the power of stylesheets.
- Streamlining your workflow and improving productivity, to get a greater return on investment.
Whilst we have a standard syllabus for this course, as far as possible we tailor the training to focus on the techniques of interest to the delegates in attendance. Our trainer discusses this with the group at the start of the course.
At the end of the course, we run an open session looking at topics requested by delegates, answering any questions you have and looking at areas you’re having problems with.
Upcoming course dates
Accredited InDesign training
Armada is an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC), accredited by Adobe to provide Advanced InDesign training.
Advanced InDesign courses are hosted by Adobe Certified Instructors from a graphic design background with vast experience of using the application professionally. For further details, see Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
Advanced InDesign training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running InDesign.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Because of the flexible ‘workshop approach’ adopted with this course, delegates take their own notes on the topics covered, rather than work through a set training guide.
Delegates receive an e-certificate confirming successful completion of an Adobe‑accredited Advanced InDesign training course. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Advanced InDesign training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their InDesign trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Delegates should be familiar with the fundamentals of InDesign, i.e. have attended Introduction to InDesign training or have equivalent knowledge.
Training is based primarily on InDesign 2020. The techniques taught are relevant to all recent releases of InDesign.
Advanced InDesign training is suitable for both Windows and Mac users.
Our guarantees to you
Our price guarantee is your assurance that you’re getting the best value for money.
Our training guarantee ensures that you learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request InDesign training available
As well as our scheduled courses, Advanced InDesign training is available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group, hosted at one of our venues in Bromsgrove, Reading, Milton Keynes or Sheffield, or yours anywhere in the UK.
On-request training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing in InDesign. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for InDesign training can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months.
For further details, see training course payment options.
Cancellations and transfers
If a booking on a scheduled Advanced InDesign course is cancelled giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If a delegate requests a transfer to a different scheduled Advanced InDesign course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a transfer fee is payable. View transfer terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Adobe InDesign courses are hosted by:
Phil works as an Adobe Design Specialist and Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI).
He has expert knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat, and uses all four applications extensively in his professional work.
Phil’s professional qualifications and extensive experience provide an ideal base to train delegates using blended learning techniques to improve the individuals’ and organisations’ capabilities.
He has worked with and trained many blue-chip organisations, including FTSE 100 companies, in a career spanning 25 years.
Philip is an Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI), specialising in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and FrameMaker.
Philip began his working life with Texas Instruments, before joining Adobe in 1995, where he worked for five years. Philip still has links with Adobe, manning their stands and carrying out presentations when they’re exhibiting in the UK.
For the last eighteen years, Philip has worked as a graphic design specialist, consultant and trainer. He continues to use Adobe applications extensively in his day-to-day professional work.
Philip knows these tools inside out- he has been a user of InDesign since its initial release.
Mark is an Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) with expert knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat.
Mark has specialised in all aspects of the digital pre-press process for over three decades, including 18 years in California, where he worked as the production manager for the biggest print shop in the north part of the state.
He began training in 1998, and he holds a teaching qualification.
He has published five books, which you’ll find on Amazon, covering topics relating to graphic design and polytunnel gardening, one of Mark’s interests when not delivering a course.
Andrew has been working in all areas of digital publishing for most of his life.
He’s an Adobe Certified Instructor in InDesign, Dreamweaver and Photoshop and has worked as a Designer, Art-worker, Production and repro person, trainer and mentor.
When he’s not doing digital things, he cooks, listens to loud music, reads and runs a kids comics club at his local library.
Greta Powell is long-established consultant and trainer in graphic design, print and digital publishing, specialising in the key Adobe applications: InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
She has worked as a consultant to some of the biggest publishing companies in Europe.
Greta also has expert knowledge of Adobe’s e-Learning development application, Captivate, and the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
Away from her training and consultancy work, Greta has a passion for photography.
As a long-standing Adobe Certified Instructor, Pete has trained and facilitated individuals and teams from a wide range of industries from organisations including Coca Cola, Disney, Nestlé, Guinness and McDonald’s. expertise
Adobe applications in which Pete runs regular training courses include InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
In his professional work, Pete has worked in the field of design across a broad range of media for many years. He has specialist knowledge in a wide range of topics including:
- Illustration: Pete is an award-wining illustrator.
- Author: Pete has designed, written and illustrated over twenty published traditional print books on a variety of subjects including graphic arts.
- Interactive media, mobile publishing and app development for tablets and smartphones.
- Website development.
Away from training, Pete spends as much time as possible indulging his passion for outdoor pursuits.
Marek is a long-established Adobe Certified Instructor.
Adobe applications which Marek has expert knowledge of include InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Animate and Acrobat. He is an Adobe Certified Expert in all of these applications, and he uses them regularly in his professional work.
Marek is the author of a range of published books and video training DVDs including The Complete Photoshop CC, The Complete Lightroom CC and Unleash the power of Photoshop.
Based on delegate feedback collected by Adobe in 2015, Marek Mularczyk was ranked in the top 10 Adobe Certified Instructors in the world!
Prior to focusing on training, Marek worked as a professional photographer for over 12 years. Photography remains his passion, and in his spare time he travels Europe in search of that perfect picture.
- Introduction – principles of colour management
- Calibration and Profiling
- Colour management policies
- ‘Keep with’ – controlling line breaks
- Baseline grids – aligning text to grids
- Hyphenation and justification
- OpenType fonts
- Overview of styling
- Nesting character styles inside paragraphs
- Applying sequential styles to multiple paragraphs
- List feature – creating multi-tier lists
- Using quick apply
- Anchoring techniques
- Adjusting Photoshop import options
- Creating captions – using image metadata
- Pen tool – drawing and modifying
- Cutting and Transforming shapes
- Pathfinder – combining shapes
- Outlining type
Using Adobe Bridge
- Organise, browse, locate and view creative assets
- Centralise access to project files, applications and settings
- Tag files with metadata and other labels for easy searching
- Mixing colours
- Overprint preview
- Flattener preview
- Viewing Separations
- GREP searches – advanced find replace features
- Data merge – merge text and images from database to create pages
- XML – reusing content to automate layout (overview)
Long document features
- Book – combining documents into a ‘book’ to arrange, control and output
- Control styling
- Page and chapter numbering
- Table of Contents
- Working with an object library
- Changing the library display
- Cataloguing objects
- Creating Buttons and Links
- Interactive forms
Preflighting, packaging and output
- Using the preflight command to check the integrity of a document
- Examining the PDF output flow and print commands
- Mixture of topics according to delegates’ requests.
- Topics typically covered include:
- The eye dropper
- Scissors and gradient tools
- Using step and repeat
- Controlling guides and grids
- Dragging and dropping text
- Pre-written scripts
Discounts and bundles
To make your InDesign training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted InDesign training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) InDesign training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get InDesign training for less.
InDesign training bundle
- Introduction to InDesign (2 days), and
- Advanced InDesign (1 day)
for £495 + VAT, saving £45+ VAT.
The bundle price is applied automatically when you book these two courses.
If you book multiple course places, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled InDesign course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for training bundles or on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a course for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC).
- Be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.