Dates and booking
Live online training
Birmingham / Bromsgrove training centres
Advanced After Effects training course for existing users, teaching you techniques to make your motion graphics stand out from the rest.
- Advanced workflows to enhance your post-production work, including visual effects, colour correction, grading and exporting.
- Advanced techniques such as 3D tracking, colour correction and grading.
- Keying techniques, such as Luma Mattes and Spill Suppression.
- Animation – deeper modes of expression.
Whilst we have a standard syllabus for this course, as far as possible we tailor the training to focus on the techniques of interest to the delegates in attendance. Our trainer discusses this with the group at the start of the course.
At the end of the course, we run an open session looking at topics requested by delegates, answering any questions you have and looking at areas you’re having problems with.
In-class or online
In-class courses are proceeding as normal at all centres during the lockdown that started on 5 November 2020. To read more, see Training during lockdown.
We’re taking comprehensive measures to ensure your health and well-being – fewer people in-class, you won’t sit next to another person, comprehensive cleaning. To read more, see Covid-19 measures.
You can participate in this course online, from your place of work or home, at a discounted price. To read about how this works, see Live online training.
Upcoming course dates
Accredited After Effects training
Armada is an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC), accredited by Adobe to provide Advanced After Effects training.
Courses are hosted by Chris Nelthorpe, an Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) and an Adobe Certified Expert in After Effects.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for Advanced After Effects, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an Adobe‑accredited Advanced After Effects training course. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Advanced After Effects training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their After Effects trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Delegates should be familiar with the fundamentals of After Effects, i.e. have attended Introduction to After Effects training or have equivalent knowledge.
After Effects version
Training is based primarily on After Effects 2020. The techniques taught are relevant to all recent releases of After Effects.
Advanced After Effects training is suitable for both Windows and Mac users.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request After Effects training available
Advanced After Effects training is available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request After Effects training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for After Effects training can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months.
For further details, see training course payment options.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Advanced After Effects training course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Mark is an Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) with expert knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro and Acrobat.
Mark has specialised in all aspects of the digital pre-press process for over three decades, including 18 years in California, where he worked as the production manager for the biggest print shop in the north part of the state.
He began training in 1998, and he holds a teaching qualification.
He has published five books, which you’ll find on Amazon, covering topics relating to graphic design and polytunnel gardening, one of Mark’s interests when not delivering training.
- Move a Premiere Pro sequence or whole Project into After Effects for complete post-production work, including visual effects, colour correction, grading and exporting.
- 3D tracking – learn to get the most out of the built-in 3D Cameras Tracker effect. Exclude objects and people from the tracker and specify regions to track using masks
- Mocha for After Effects – use this powerful plug-in to solve difficult tracks, perform screen replacements, remove unwanted objects, and learn to use Mocha as your “roto assistant”.
- Cineware plug-in.
Colour correction and grading
- Lumetri colour – use the familiar colour effect in your compositions to correct and grade shots between Premiere Pro and After Effects.
- Secondary corrections – perform secondary corrections with both tools and utilise the power of masks to completely isolate colour corrections.
- Luma Mattes – replace blown-out skies and augment difficult green screen shots using luma mattes.
- Spill Suppression – learn advanced techniques to remove spill and protect the original footage.
- Deeper modes of expression – learn to combine expressions with existing keyframed animations and begin to write and save your own.
- Character and animation design.
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real After Effects course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the After Effects training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Advanced After Effects courses are presented by Adobe Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using After Effects.
- If you don’t have access to After Effects software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.
Discounts and bundles
To make your After Effects training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted After Effects training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) After Effects training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get After Effects training for less.
After Effects training bundle
- Introduction to After Effects (2 days), and
- Advanced After Effects (1 day)
for £545 + VAT (classroom-based) or £415 + VAT (live online training), saving £75 + VAT in both cases.
The bundle price will be applied automatically when you add these two courses to your basket.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled After Effects course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.
We offer a range of services to support your Adobe After Effects development.
If you have a peak workload, or require assistance with a specific project, Armada has highly experienced After Effects specialists who can carry out project work for you. We’ll be happy to quote for any project you’re looking to outsource.
Clients for whom our specialists have recently completed projects include Honda, Raytheon, Forces TV, British Forces Broadcasting Service and Giallo Films.
We can produce professional-standard features to incorporate into your video projects, such as:
- Motion graphics: we can produce titles to bookend your projects, and infographics to illustrate charts and figures that help to tell the story you require.
- Visual effects: we can significantly alter locations and weather.
We can advise on the use and choice of a wide range of library music which we can edit to fit your project exactly, or we can compose and create a bespoke soundtrack for your project.
Our consultants can provide expert advice on best practice and approach for your e-learning development. We can advise on:
- Lighting for specific effects setups, such as green screen photography.
- Purchasing post-production hardware and software so that you get the best out of your existing kit and future-proof your new purchases.
- Workflow and organisation of media.
- Timeframes and working with clients.