Dates and booking
Live online training
Bristol training centre
Cardiff training centre
Reading training centre
Sheffield training centre
After Effects training course for beginners, teaching key techniques for creating motion graphics and visual effects to show on websites and use in apps.
Adobe After Effects is the leading professional software for motion graphics, video compositing and visual effects. Used across all forms of video and screen based media, After Effects offers a powerful set of tools to deliver stunning visual results.
Introduction to After Effects training covers key tools and features, including animation techniques, layer control, effects and transparency. To see samples of some of the effects you’ll learn to create, see Sam Sturley’s blog What will I learn if I attend After Effects training?
This course is ideal for newcomers to After Effects, and those with limited After Effects experience.
Upcoming course dates
Accredited After Effects training
Armada is an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC), accredited by Adobe to provide After Effects training.
Courses are hosted by Adobe Certified Instructors (ACIs). For details, see Expert trainers.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures implemented. Where numbers allow, you’ll sit at a desk without anyone sitting next to you.
All courses are available in our popular live online format.
How will I learn?
After Effects training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running After Effects. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to ask questions.
Windows or Mac
After Effects works almost identically on the Windows and Mac platforms.
Our centres offer both Windows and Mac computers for delegates to use, so you can choose to carry out exercises on the platform you’re familiar with.
After Effects training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A practical After Effects training guide, to refer to during the course and use as a refresher after. This is provided in PDF format for you to view on-screen or print.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an Adobe‑accredited After Effects training course. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following After Effects training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their After Effects trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No prior After Effects knowledge is necessary.
After Effects version
Training is based primarily on After Effects 2022. The techniques taught are relevant to all recent releases of After Effects.
All After Effects training is suitable for both Windows and Mac users.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request After Effects training available
Introduction to After Effects training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request After Effects training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for After Effects training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Introduction to After Effects course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Introduction to After Effects training courses are hosted by:
Phil works as an Adobe Design Specialist and Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI).
He has expert knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Creative Cloud Express and Acrobat, and he has used all of these applications extensively for over 25 years in his professional work.
Phil’s professional qualifications and extensive experience provide an ideal base to train delegates using blended learning techniques to improve the individuals’ and organisations’ capabilities. He has worked with and trained many blue-chip organisations, including FTSE 100 companies.
Marek is a long-established Adobe Certified Instructor.
Adobe applications which Marek has expert knowledge of include InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Animate and Acrobat. He is an Adobe Certified Expert in all of these applications, and he uses them regularly in his professional work.
Marek is the author of a range of published books and video training DVDs including The Complete Photoshop CC, The Complete Lightroom CC and Unleash the power of Photoshop.
Based on delegate feedback collected by Adobe in 2015, Marek was ranked in the top 10 Adobe Certified Instructors in the world!
Prior to focusing on training, Marek worked as a professional photographer for over 12 years. Photography remains his passion, and in his spare time he travels Europe in search of that perfect picture.
Mark is an Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) with expert knowledge of Adobe’s key creative applications – InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro and Acrobat. He also has expert knowledge of Maxon Cinema 4D.
Mark has specialised in all aspects of the digital pre-press process for over three decades, including 18 years in California, where he worked as the production manager for the biggest print shop in the north part of the state.
He began training in 1998, and he holds a teaching qualification.
He has published five books, which you’ll find on Amazon, covering topics relating to graphic design and polytunnel gardening, one of Mark’s interests when not delivering training.
For over 30 years, Wolf has worked as a professional Visual Effects Artist, specialising in Motion Graphics, 2D and 3D animations and compositing, mainly in the film and broadcast television industries.
Wolf has worked as a professional trainer and university lecturer for over 15 years, equipping hundreds of people with skills to bring their ideas to life.
He trains people to a professional level in a range of industry-standard applications, including Autodesk 3ds Max and Maya, Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro and Audition, and Maxon Cinema 4D.
Alistair is a highly-experienced trainer with expert knowledge of various Adobe creative applications including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere Pro. He has held Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) status for almost 20 years, delivering courses in both English and French.
Alistair has worked in a wide range of publishing roles including prepress production, graphic design and editorial production. He has delivered workshops and chaired debates at IT industry conferences.
When not training, Alistair works as a journalist and technical writer, writing on topics including digital imaging, computer arts, fintech, data security, AI and VR. He is a regular contributor to various computer and graphic arts magazines including The Register and Ars Technica, and is the author/co-author of several published books, including the best-selling Digital Designer’s Bible.
Welcome to After Effects
- What is Adobe After Effects…?
- Tour of the interface
- Setting preferences
- Creating a new project/composition
- Creating a new composition from footage
- Temporal and spatial keyframes
- Motion paths
- Anchor point essentials
- Rove across time
- Toggle hold
- Exponential scale
- The Graph Editor
- Motion sketch
- Roving and hold
- Arrange, organise and navigate layers
- Fun with shape layers
- Examples of effects
- Applying effects
- Masks and mask animations
Working with transparency
- Track mattes and stencils
- Green screens
Type and type animation
- Working with type
- Text on a path
- Basic text animation
- Text animation presets
- Layer styles
- A high-level look at the possibilities
Live online training
Online training lets you participate in a live After Effects course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and the other delegates participating in the course…
- Watch our trainer demonstrate techniques in After Effects.
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to take control to explain something.
Like our in-class courses, online Introduction to After Effects courses…
- Are presented by Adobe Certified Instructors.
- Give you plenty of opportunity to carry out assisted, practical exercises using After Effects.
- Offer 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
All you need is an Internet-connected computer with…
- After Effects installed. If you don’t have access to After Effects, we can usually send you a link to fully-functional trial software to download and install.
- A webcam and audio capability. If your computer running After Effects doesn’t have these, you can use a second device, such as another computer or tablet. See Hardware recommendations for live online training for further details.
If there’s anything you’re not sure about we’ll do our best to help you. We won’t, however, be able to assist with your After Effects installation.
We provide everything else…
- Links to download the files, resources, etc. you’ll use in your course.
- A training guide. For most courses, you can choose from a printed copy that we post to you, or a PDF.
In the week before your course, we’ll send you an email containing everything you need to prepare for and participate in the training. Then, a couple of days before your course, we’ll give you a courtesy call to make sure you have everything in place and answer any questions you may have.
Please note that we are not able to record scheduled online courses for privacy reasons.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time
Discounts and bundles
To make your After Effects training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted After Effects training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) After Effects training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get After Effects training for less.
After Effects training bundle
Book classroom-based courses in:
- Introduction to After Effects (2 days), and
- Advanced After Effects (1 day)
for £545 + VAT (classroom-based) or £415 + VAT (live online training), saving £75 + VAT in both cases.
The bundle price will be applied automatically when you add these two courses to your basket.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled After Effects course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.
Was a great day with just two people which meant we both got to ask plenty of questions and go through things we specifically needed to know or wanted to learn.
Would definitely recommend Armada. Elliot was a lovely training Coordinator and was a great welcoming host.”
Really looking forward to using this software in practise now!
I went in with knowledge to other adobe software but my only knowledge on After Effects was what I taught myself from YouTube which was extremely basic. I think this training is really good at understanding why you're doing what you're doing, in addition to learning how to do it. Thanks Chris, and Armada!”