Adobe Captivate training course for beginners, teaching how to develop professional-standard interactive e-learning content.
Adobe Captivate is the industry-standard tool for developing interactive e-learning tutorials and presentations featuring spoken narrative, animation, video and tests. Content is accessible locally, via Intranet or the Web, and it integrates smoothly with Learning Management Systems.
Introduction to Captivate training provides a thorough grounding for beginners, teaching all key techniques. Sessions include:
- Working with slides and masters
- Applying effects, adding buttons and rollover captions
- Using the timeline
- Inserting images and sound
- Inserting audio, video and animations
- Creating questions and assessments
- Publishing for Learning Management Systems
- Publishing for HTML5
In this short video, Senior Captivate Instructor, Mark Waterfield, explains the structure of the two days.
This course is ideal for newcomers to Captivate, and those with limited Captivate experience. See examples of work produced in this course.
Upcoming course dates
Accredited Captivate training
Armada is an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC), accredited by Adobe to provide Captivate training.
Courses are hosted by highly experienced instructors. For details, see Expert trainers.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures and comprehensive sanitisation implemented.
We continue to offer all courses in our popular live online format.
How will I learn?
Captivate training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Captivate. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to ask questions.
Windows or Mac
Captivate works almost identically on the Windows and Mac platforms.
Our centres offer both Windows and Mac computers for delegates to use, so you can choose to carry out exercises on the platform you’re familiar with.
Captivate training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A practical Captivate training guide, to refer to during the course and use as a refresher after. Choose from a printed, bound guide or a PDF – whatever suits you best. If you’re participating online and you choose a printed guide, we’ll post this to you.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an Adobe‑accredited Captivate training course. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Captivate training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Captivate trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No prior Captivate knowledge is necessary.
Training is based primarily on Captivate 2019. The techniques taught are relevant to all recent releases of Captivate, both Windows and Mac users.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Captivate training available
Introduction to Captivate training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request Captivate training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Captivate training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Introduction to Captivate course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Introduction to Captivate training courses are hosted by:
Mark is a long-established Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) and an Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) in Captivate.
Mark uses Captivate extensively in his professional work as an e-Learning developer. He is a recognised expert in all aspects of e-Learning, including hosting and LMS development.
Mark is also an expert user of Adobe Animate, which he uses to create animations to incorporate into his e-learning tutorials, bring them to life.
Prior to focusing on e-Learning, Mark worked in website development and Flash programming.
Away from e-Learning training and development, Mark works in the music industry as a programmer, writer, producer and performer. He recently co-wrote a song featured in the Oscar nominated movie ‘Volver’, starring Penelope Cruz.
Greta is long-established consultant and trainer in graphic design, print and digital publishing, specialising in Adobe’s key creative applications – InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator – and the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
Greta also specialises in:
- e-learning development using an array of tools including Adobe’s Captivate and Presenter applications and Articulate Storyline.
- Website development using WordPress and Dreamweaver.
Greta has worked as a consultant to some of the biggest publishing companies in Europe.
Away from her training and consultancy work, Greta has a passion for photography.
The Captivate learning environment
Creating a new project
Adding and editing slides
Working with text captions
Modifying the pointer
Working with the timeline
Working with objects
Using Smart Shapes
Inserting animations and applying effects
Adding video to a Captivate project
Adding audio to a Captivate project
Exploring the ‘panning’ function
Recording software simulations
Importing PowerPoint slides
Using text entry boxes
Inserting rollover captions and images
Inserting question slides
Setting reporting options
High definition screencasts
Themes and project templates
Publishing for a Learning Management System (LMS)
Publishing to HTML5
Other reporting and publishing options
Creating aggregator projects
Here are some examples showing demos and tutorials created in Adobe Captivate. You’ll learn the techniques required to create demos and tutorials such as these in our Introduction to Captivate course.
Please note that the content changes for each course to focused on the topics of interest to the delegates in class, so you may not produce these precise demos and tutorials.
Adobe Captivate Find Replace Demo
Short demonstration showing how to carry out a simple find and replace operation in WordPad.
Interactive e-learning tutorial – video lesson followed by quiz 1
Interactive e-learning tutorial – responsive quiz
Interactive e-learning tutorial – forced navigation
In this example, the user is made to complete certain tasks before proceeding to the next stage.
Interactive e-learning tutorial – video lesson followed by a quiz 2
Interactive e-learning tutorial –quiz utilising drag and drop
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real Captivate course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the Captivate training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Introduction to Captivate courses are presented by Adobe Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using Captivate.
- If you don’t have access to Captivate software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.
To make your Captivate training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled Captivate training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Captivate training for less.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Captivate course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.
We offer a range of services to support your Adobe Captivate e-learning development.
If you have a peak workload, or require assistance with a specific project, Armada’s in-house team of highly experienced e-learning developers can carry out Captivate development work for you. We’ll be happy to quote for any project you’re looking to outsource.
We can create high-quality e-learning material from your defined brief, or we can help you create your storyboard for maximum impact. If you have existing material, we can import and re-use it wherever practical to reduce your costs.
Clients for whom our team has completed successful projects include Arqiva, Honda, Priory Group and Securewest International.
We can host your e-learning courses on Armada’s Learning Management System (LMS). We can provide you with an administrator account to manage your courses and content yourself, or you can leave everything to us and we’ll supply you with regular reports on course participation, results and more.
We can assist you with the production of audio to include in your Captivate tutorials. We can:
- Provide spoken narrative, sourced by voiceover professionals.
- Edit your audio. We can trim and repair audio clips, add effects, set levels and mix.
We can produce professional-standard video footage to incorporate into your Captivate tutorials. We can cover all aspects of the filming process including:
We’ll film the scenes you want to include in your tutorials. With 25 years’ experience, our cinematographers/camera operators know how to convey your message with maximum visual impact. All equipment is provided, including cameras, lighting, microphones, etc.
From the footage recorded, we’ll produce professional-standard video, with audio and visual effects, that tells the story you require.
Our consultants can provide expert advice on best practice and approach for your e-learning development. We can:
- Advise on which Learning Management System (LMS) best meets your requirements.
- Create standards and design templates for your team to use.
happy to go over anything again if needed. The room was comfortable and the technical equipment including computers and screens used to complete the course were good. I would recommend this course for Adobe Captivate training.”