One-day writing course that teaches technical staff techniques for communicating information clearly, concisely and correctly to a non-technical audience.
Many technical staff know their subject matter in detail, but find it difficult to communicate information in a way that can be easily understood by non-experts. Our Effective writing for technical staff training course has been developed specifically for such people. Sessions include:
- General writing principles and best practice writing styles and techniques.
- Understanding how to use punctuation and grammar.
- Developing knowledge of design and layout techniques.
- Understanding the importance of navigation tools in documents.
- Avoiding silly mistakes through proofreading documentation.
- Using some of the advanced features available in Microsoft Word to analyse and improve your writing.
Effective writing for technical staff training is available on-request only, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group. We don’t currently offer a scheduled (public) course. This approach means that we can tailor your training to your exact business needs.
We can host the training at one of our centres, or your venue anywhere in the UK.
Effective writing for technical staff training is provided by highly experienced instructors with 20+ years’ experience hosting courses such as this for business.
How will I learn?
Training combines lecture, demonstration and hands-on practice.
Exercises provide activity-based experience and help build delegates’ confidence writing effectively. These exercises can be tailored to deal with issues specific to your business.
You have ample opportunity to discuss specific requirements with the trainer.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A training guide, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher back in the work-place.
- Job aids and roadmaps to use post-course.
- An e-certificate confirming successful course completion. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Effective writing for technical staff training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their trainer to help with any post-course issues.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this course for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for effective writing training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
If a company or delegate cancels an effective writing training course booking giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
- Introduction and course objectives
- Recommended reading list
Document structure considerations
- Chapters and sections
- Running headers and footers
- Writing styles and techniques
- The 12 golden rules of writing
- Practice through a series of exercises
Punctuation and grammar
- Common punctuation and grammatical mistakes and guidance on how to avoid them
- How to lay-out a document to make it more attractive and easy to read
- Improving a document using indexing and cross-referencing techniques
- Avoiding silly errors and mistakes by checking work thoroughly
- Different levels of editing
Advanced Microsoft Word
- Document structure considerations – headings, chapters, sections, running headers and footers
- Styles and paragraph settings
- Ensuring that your document retains its layout after editing
- Layout and pagination: making manual changes
- Using templates to create a house style
- Incorporating screenshots and images in the most space-efficient way
- Modular page numbering and automatic cross references
- Automatic table of contents and index
- Working with fields
- Editing documents and tracking changes
- Creating master documents to enable several authors to work on a document simultaneously
- Using macros to automate tasks
- Miscellaneous hints and tips