FrameMaker XML workshop providing a broad understanding of the process for developing a structured application to process XML documents.
This workshop is ideal for anyone who needs to prepare FrameMaker to process XML data for a range of purposes.
Our FrameMaker XML workshop is available on-request only, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group. We don’t currently offer scheduled (public) FrameMaker XML workshops.
We can host the training at one of our centres, or your venue anywhere in the UK.
The training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing in FrameMaker.
Accredited FrameMaker training
Armada is an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC), accredited by Adobe to provide FrameMaker training.
FrameMaker training is hosted by Adobe Certified Instructors, who are Adobe Certified Experts in the application, with over 20 years’ experience working as a technical authoring professional.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for FrameMaker, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an Adobe‑accredited FrameMaker training course. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following FrameMaker training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their FrameMaker trainer to help with any post-course issues.
Some experience with XML, DTD’s and FrameMaker is desirable, but not essential.
Training can be based on any version of FrameMaker to suit you.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this course for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for FrameMaker training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
If a company or delegate cancels an FrameMaker training course booking giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
- General overview of XML processing
- Consider the role that FrameMaker plays.
- Examine the purpose of the structured application.
- Project introduction.
- Steps for preparing the structured application
- Examine the sample documents to be used.
Creating an Element Definition Document (EDD)
- Prepare an EDD based on an existing Document Type Definition (DTD) using default processing
- Examine the structure of the EDD and compare the EDD to the DTD.
Creating and testing a structured template
- Create a structured template from the
- Understand the component parts of the structured template
- Understand how to prepare both a structured and unstructured template
- Test the structure.
Defining a structured application
- Learn how to define a new structured application.
- Create a read/write rules document and add rules to rectify some of the default processing.
- Edit and update the application file.
Refining the structured application
- Examine the read/write rules to process tables correctly on both import and export.
- Add attribute rules and sub rules and rename attribute values.
- Identify and set element valid at the highest level.
- Determine the formatting of documents processed by the structured application.
- Create and test paragraph and character formats (styles).
Designing for graphics
- Prepare the template to present graphics in a consistent way by creating a paragraph style for numbering figure captions and a separate style for anchoring frames.
Designing table styles and cross-references
- Prepare table styles and add them to the catalog.
- Create and modify paragraph styles for formatting data in table cells.
- Prepare a cross-reference format to standardise the style of the element. This will include using character formats and structured building blocks.
- Prepare the page layout for the application template.
- Learn about single and double-sided documents, working with master pages and flow tags and setting headers and footers.
Format rules for container elements
- Prepare formatting for textual content by adding rules to the definitions of the container elements in the EDD.
Format rules for object elements
- Prepare formatting for object elements-figures, tables, cross-references and index markers.
- Add initial object format rules to the definitions of the object elements in the EDD.