MotionBuilder Essentials training
2 days In centre:
MotionBuilder training course for beginners, teaching core skills for producing real-time 3D animations.
Autodesk MotionBuilder provides everything you need to work faster on high-volume game animation pipelines, director-driven virtual cinematography and real-time character simulations.
Our MotionBuilder Essentials course covers techniques relevant to professionals working in any industry in which animated characters are required, including gaming, television and film. The topics covered include:
- Working in a production environment.
- Animating 3D models and working with materials to texture your models.
- Using lighting.
- Creating animations such as walk cycles.
- Staging a scene and understanding cinematography.
- Creating output for a variety of uses.
MotionBuilder Essentials training is arranged on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group. We can provide your training in-class at one of our centres, at your venue, or online.
Your training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing.
In-class or online
In-class courses are proceeding as normal at all centres during the lockdown that started on 5 November 2020. To read more, see Training during lockdown.
We’re taking comprehensive measures to ensure your health and well-being – fewer people in-class, you won’t sit next to another person, comprehensive cleaning. To read more, see Covid-19 measures.
You can participate in this course online, from your place of work or home, at a discounted price. To read about how this works, see Live online training.
Accredited MotionBuilder training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our MotionBuilder training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
MotionBuilder courses are hosted by Autodesk Certified Instructors who are experts in 3D design, CGI and character animation. They have been providing training in MotionBuilder and similar applications to industry for over 20 years.
How will I learn?
MotionBuilder training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running MotionBuilder.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for MotionBuilder, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited MotionBuilder training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following MotionBuilder training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their MotionBuilder trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No prior MotionBuilder knowledge is necessary.
Training can be based on any recent version of MotionBuilder to suit you.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this as a ‘closed course’ for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these times to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for Motion Builder training can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months.
For further details, see training course payment options.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request MotionBuilder Essentials course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request MotionBuilder Essentials course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Keyframing basics and introduction to function curves
Introduction to the control rig and pose-to-pose character animation
Keyframing and walk cycle
Animation re-targeting and using pre-existing animation clips
Adding lights and real-time shadows
Introduction to shaders and materials
Introduction to cameras
Introduction to the story tool and creating camera edits
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real Motion Builder course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the Motion Builder training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online MotionBuilder Essentials courses are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using Motion Builder.
- If you don’t have access to Motion Builder software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.