Simplified Technical English is a simplified style of writing used primarily in the aerospace and defence industries. The language is concise and precise, and the volume of text is typically 20% less than standard text, making it easier to translate and use in different formats.
Our Simplified Technical English course teaches techniques for producing technical documents that are well-written, clear, concise, consistent and adhere the ASD-STE100 specification.
You will learn how to:
- Identify the qualities of well-written technical documentation.
- Develop and write clear, concise, and consistent technical documents.
- Create clear and directive topic sentences.
- Focus on creating clear paragraphs that raise the knowledge of your readership to the level required.
- Employ the core rules of ASD-STE100.
- Use the ASD-STE controlled dictionary.
Simplified Technical English training is available on-request only, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group. We don’t currently offer scheduled (public) Simplified Technical English courses. This approach means that we can tailor your training to your specific requirements and the type of documentation your organisation produces.
We can host the training at one of our centres, or your venue anywhere in the UK.
Simplified Technical English training is provided by highly experienced instructors with 20+ years’ experience hosting courses such as this for business.
How will I learn?
Training combines lecture, demonstration and hands-on practice.
Exercises provide activity-based experience and help build delegates’ confidence writing effectively. These exercises can be tailored to deal with issues specific to your business.
You have ample opportunity to discuss specific requirements with the trainer.
Training guide, specification and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for Simplified Technical English, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher back in the work-place.
- A copy of the ASD-STE100 specification.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of a Simplified Technical English training course.
After course support
Following Simplified Technical English training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their trainer to help with any post-course issues.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this course for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for Simplified Technical English training training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
If a company or delegate cancels an Simplified Technical English training training course booking giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Techniques and practices for writing unambiguous, concise notes and instructions. Topics include:
- Benefits of effectively communicating technical information
- Dealing with common writing problems
- Creating effective and clear topic sentences
- Building clarity through sentence focus
- Building paragraphs that raise reader understanding to the desired level
- Exposing tacit knowledge
- Understanding when you’ve “covered it all“
- Creating reusable text elements
- Grammar rules
- Word choice
Using the ASD STE-100 specification to ensure clarity, concision and consistency in technical writing. Topics include:
- Using active versus passive voice and why active voice is preferred
- Checking text readability using Flesch/Flesch Kincaid
- Analysing and providing necessary background knowledge using Given/New
- Ensuring subject-verb agreement
- Singularity and plurality
- Report writing fundamentals