AutoCAD Map 3D training course for beginners, teaching how to create, manage and analyse mapping and geospatial data.
The AutoCAD Map 3D toolset provides a platform for creating and managing spatial data, bridging the gap between CAD and GIS and enabling you to integrate geospatial functions in a single environment for more efficient workflows.
Our AutoCAD Map 3D Essentials course provides a thorough grounding in the application and its key features, including geospatial. The topics covered include:
- Working with the AutoCAD Map 3D user interface.
- Linking and managing drawing-based attribute data.
- Using object classification.
- Importing and exporting drawing-based data.
- Working with raster images and source drawings.
- Stylising drawings.
- Plotting maps.
- Establishing a geospatial environment, and using Map 3D’s geospatial features to create, manage and analyse geospatial data.
This course is ideal for newcomers to AutoCAD Map 3D and novice Map 3D users.
If you don’t need to cover the geospatial elements, we can provide your training in 2 days.
AutoCAD Map 3D Essentials training is arranged on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group. We can provide your training in-class at one of our centres, at your venue, or online.
Your training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing.
Been furloughed? You can still participate in training without this affecting your furloughed status, as confirmed on gov.uk.
In-class or online
In-class courses are now available to book again. We’re taking comprehensive measures to ensure your health and well-being – fewer people in-class, you won’t sit next to another person, comprehensive cleaning. To read more, see Covid-19 measures.
You can participate in this course online, from your place of work or home, at a discounted price. To read about how this works, see Live online training.
Accredited AutoCAD Map 3D training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our AutoCAD Map 3D courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Map 3D courses are hosted by Philip Madeley, an Autodesk Certified Instructor, industry expert and Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors.
How will I learn?
AutoCAD Map 3D training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running AutoCAD Map 3D.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
AutoCAD Map 3D training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for AutoCAD Map 3D, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited AutoCAD Map 3D training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following AutoCAD Map 3D training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their AutoCAD Map 3D trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Delegates must have a working knowledge of an Autodesk CAD application, such as AutoCAD or Revit. If you don’t have this knowledge, we recommend you attending AutoCAD Essentials training first.
AutoCAD Map 3D version
Training can be based on any recent version of AutoCAD Map 3D to suit you.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this as a ‘closed course’ for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these times to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for AutoCAD Map 3D training can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months.
For further details, see training course payment options.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request AutoCAD Map 3D Essentials course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request AutoCAD Map 3D Essentials course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Philip’s background is in Civil Engineering. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors, and has worked as a Consultant in this industry for many years.
Philip is also a long-standing Autodesk Certified Instructor, with specialist knowledge of AutoCAD and related GIS applications such as Civil 3D, AutoCAD Map 3D and InfraWorks.
Philip’s approach to training is practical. He loves to utilise his knowledge and experience to show delegates how they can make best use of the software on their own projects.
Away from training, Philip’s interests are photography, and watching rugby and cricket. He also does voluntary work, and describes himself as an all-round lover of life.
- The AutoCAD Map 3D
- Drawing settings
- Coordinate systems
Linking and Managing Drawing-Based Attribute Data
- Object data:
- Creating and attaching object data
- Editing and managing object data
- Creating dynamic annotation
- Database-linked data:
- Connecting to a database
- Defining a link template
- Linking records to objects
- Querying from the database
- Using database information in a drawing
Using Object Classification
- Setting up an object classification
- Classifying, selecting, and creating classified objects
Importing and Exporting Drawing-Based Data
- Importing and exporting GIS data, e.g. ESRI, MapInfo, etc.
Working with Raster Images
- Inserting raster images
- Managing raster images through an attached drawing
- Modifying raster image properties and behaviour
- Working with source drawings:
- Attaching source drawings
- Drawing aliases
- Using source drawing queries:
- Defining property and location queries
- Defining data queries
- Compound queries
- Altering properties during queries
- Using the query library
- Saving back new and queried objects
- Stylising Drawings:
- About the Display Manager
- Creating display maps
- Creating thematic maps
- Plotting maps:
- Map books
- Drawing output formats
Establishing a Geospatial Environment
- Connecting to a feature source
- Working with point data
- Using coordinate systems
- Query features on connect
- Using bulk copy
- Using joins with feature sources
- Using buffers
- Using calculated properties
- Adding geospatial data validation
- Using overlay analysis
- Stylising features
- Enhanced feature styles
- Using workflow designer for overlay analysis
- Editing feature attributes and geometry
- Working with DEM files
- Moving Data Between DWG™ objects and FDO features
- Merging and splitting features
- Updating parcels with a newly subdivided zoning area
- Creating a map using cartographic standards
- Sharing geospatial data with a third party
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real AutoCAD Map 3D course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the AutoCAD Map 3D training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online AutoCAD Map 3D Essentials courses are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using AutoCAD Map 3D.
- If you don’t have access to AutoCAD Map 3D software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.