Comprehensive SolidWorks training for newcomers, teaching key techniques for creating parametric parts and assemblies.
SolidWorks 3D design software helps teams around the world bring their ideas to life. It is easy to learn and use, letting you concentrate on your designs, not your CAD software.
Introduction to SolidWorks training provides a thorough grounding in SolidWorks. The topics covered include:
- Part modelling
- Shelling and ribs
- Editing: Design changes
- Assembly modelling
Throughout the course you’ll learn tips for using SolidWorks in the most productive way.
Upcoming course dates
Live online SolidWorks training
SolidWorks courses are available in our popular live online format. We’re not currently able to offer SolidWorks training at our centres.
Expert SolidWorks trainers
SolidWorks training is hosted by highly-experienced CAD experts from an engineering background. See Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
SolidWorks training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques, with assistance from our trainer.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can keep all the files you create.
SolidWorks training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for SolidWorks, to refer to throughout the course and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful SolidWorks course completion. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following SolidWorks training, you’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your SolidWorks trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No prior SolidWorks knowledge is necessary.
Training is based primarily on SolidWorks 2022. It is relevant to users of SolidWorks 2018 and later.
Access to SolidWorks software
You’ll need to have access to a computer running SolidWorks to carry out exercises and practice the techniques taught.
Options are available to entrepreneurs, startups and larger companies for free and trial software. Please contact us for further details.
Students are eligible to reduced-price software; click here for details.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request SolidWorks training available
Introduction to SolidWorks training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request SolidWorks training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for SolidWorks training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Introduction to SolidWorks course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Carl Portman has been an Autodesk-accredited instructor for 25 years, a College Lecturer (City and Guilds 3D modelling) for 15 years and a CAD consultant for 35 years.
Carl’s background is in engineering. He has vast design experience in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace and medical, and he continues to carry out project work for a range of clients. Projects that Carl has completed include designing complete car plants for Jaguar Land Rover.
Carl has expert knowledge of:
- A wide range of 3D design applications used in engineering, including AutoCAD, Alias, Fusion 360, Inventor and SolidWorks.
- Machining, CAM and CNC.
Away from work, Carl’s passion is motorsport, and until recently he raced motorbikes. He knows Silverstone and Brands Hatch like the back of his hand, and he has the scars to prove it.
- What is SolidWorks?
- File references
- Opening files
- The SolidWorks user interface
- Using the Command Manager
Introduction to sketching
- 2D sketching
- Stages in the process
- What are we going to sketch?
- Sketching and sketch entities
- Basic sketching
- Rules that govern sketches
- Design intent
- Sketch relations
- Sketching guidelines
Basic part modelling
- Design intent
- Basic modelling
- Choosing the best profile
- Choosing the sketch plane
- Details of the part
- Extrude feature
- Revolved feature
- Sketching on a planar face
- Cut feature
- Using the hole wizard
- View options
- Editing tools
- Detailing basics
- Drawing views
- Centre marks
- Changing parameters
- Edit material
- Mass properties
- File properties
- Why use patterns?
- Reference geometry
- Linear, circular and mirror patterns
- Using pattern seed only
- Sketch driven patterns
Shelling and ribs
- Full round fillets
- Thin features
Editing: Design changes
- Part editing
- Design changes
- Information from a model
- Rebuilding tools
- Sketch contours
- Creating configurations
- Using configure dimension/feature
- Using global variables, equations
- Global variables
- Modelling strategies for configurations
- Editing parts that have configurations
- Design library
- More about making drawings
- Section, model, broken and detail views
- Drawing sheets and sheet formats
- Projected views
- Creating a new assembly
- Position of the first component
- FeatureManager design tree and symbols
- Adding components
- Using part configurations in assemblies
- Smart mates
- Inserting subassemblies
- Pack and go
- Analysing the assembly
- Checking for clearances
- Changing the values of dimensions
- Bill of materials
- Assembly drawings
- Options settings
- Document templates
Please note: Course topics may be modified by the instructor based upon the knowledge and skill level of the course participants.
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a SolidWorks course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the SolidWorks training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Introduction to SolidWorks courses are presented by expert instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using SolidWorks.
- If you don’t have access to SolidWorks software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.
Discounts and bundles
To make your SolidWorks training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) SolidWorks training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get SolidWorks training for less.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled SolidWorks course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.