Microsoft Office training for beginners, teaching key techniques in the most widely used Office applications.
In two days, you’ll get to grips with Microsoft Office, learning to carry out the key tasks you’ll want to perform in your day-to-day work. You’ll learn to use:
- Microsoft Word, to create consistent, formatted documents.
- Microsoft Outlook, for sending and receiving emails, managing your contacts and organising your calendar.
- Microsoft Excel, to create spreadsheets that make use of formulae and functions.
- Microsoft PowerPoint, to create aesthetically-pleasing slideshows, with transition effects and animations.
Microsoft Office Basics training is arranged on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group. We can provide your training in-class at one of our centres, at your venue, or online.
Your training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing.
Been furloughed? You can still participate in training without this affecting your furloughed status, as confirmed on gov.uk.
In-class or online
In-class courses are now available to book again. We’re taking comprehensive measures to ensure your health and well-being – fewer people in-class, you won’t sit next to another person, comprehensive cleaning. To read more, see Covid-19 measures.
You can participate in this course online, from your place of work or home, at a discounted price. To read about how this works, see Live online training.
Expert Microsoft Office trainers
Microsoft Office training is hosted by highly experienced instructors. See Expert trainers.
Office training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher back in the work-place.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of Microsoft Office training. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Microsoft Office training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Training can be based on any recent version of Microsoft Office.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this as a ‘closed course’ for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these times to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for Microsoft Office training can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months.
For further details, see training course payment options.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request Microsoft Office Basics course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request Microsoft Office Basics course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Microsoft Office Basics training courses are hosted by:
Doug is a skilled instructor with over 25 years’ experience of delivery training in Microsoft Office and related applications, including Project, SharePoint, Teams and VBA.
In recent years, Doug has delivered training to a wide range of blue-chip companies and public sector organisations including the United Nations, the RAF, Police, NHS, Etihad Airways and Astra Zeneca.
Doug holds an MBA, and he has numerous professional and training accreditations, including:
- Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS): Office and SharePoint
- European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) to Advanced Level
- Microsoft Certified Application Specialist Instructor (MCASI)
Greta Powell is long-established consultant and trainer in graphic design, print and digital publishing, specialising in Adobe’s key creative applications – InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator – and the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
She also specialises in e-learning development using an array of tools including Adobe’s Captivate and Presenter applications, and Articulate Storyline.
Greta has worked as a consultant to some of the biggest publishing companies in Europe.
Away from her training and consultancy work, Greta has a passion for photography.
Simon has been a Microsoft Trainer and Consultant since 2007.
He has expert knowledge of a wide range of applications in the Office family. As well as the mainstream products such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, etc., he hosts courses in the more niche tools including Yammer, Teams, Sway, Office365 Video and Planner.
When training, Simon strives to build confidence in all attendees. He achieves this by engaging and interacting with them, creating good rapport and enabling them to be involved. In doing this, Simon forms a high-quality learning environment that makes it easy for people to learn.
Wendy Sprakes is an Autodesk Certified Instructor and a qualified teacher (QTS).
Wendy began her working life as a CAD operator, using Medusa, MicroStation and AutoCAD.
Working through the ranks of trainee draughtsman, graduating as a professional Mechanical Engineer, she worked in the Mechanical Handling industry on site and in the drawing office for ten years. She became a Project Engineer then moved into the CAE Industry, working as an engineer in the Fatigue Analysis software industry for clients such as Ford Motor Company and Jaguar Land Rover.
She then went on to qualify as a teacher, and has been hosting AutoCAD courses since 2000. She also has specialist knowledge of Advance Steel.
Away from training, Wendy is an accomplished jazz musician. Her music enjoys regular airplay on both regional and national stations including BBC and JazzFM.
Lynne Telfer is an Adobe Certified Instructor with over 25 years’ experience working as a professional trainer.
She has expert knowledge of:
- Adobe FrameMaker – both Unstructured and Structured use. In the late nineties, Lynne worked for Adobe as a trainer, hosting their FrameMaker courses. She’s provided training in the application ever since, and is an Adobe Certified Expert in the application.
- Adobe Creative Cloud applications. Lynne has expert knowledge of the key applications used for creative design: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat.
- Microsoft Office suite of applications, covering the mainstream applications Word, Excel and PowerPoint to advanced level.
Lynne has a BA Hons in Educational Practice from Oxford Brookes University.
Tim is a Microsoft Certified Trainer, Microsoft Office Specialist, Master and Expert. He has vast experience training in all recent versions of Office, as well as related applications such as SharePoint, Project and Access.
Tim has worked in the IT Industry for over 30 years. Prior to specialising in Microsoft Office training, he held roles in software development, application design and project management.
Tim is passionate about training and is known for his approachable, relaxed style of delivery. He gets tremendous satisfaction from facilitating in the development of other people.
- Components of the Word ribbon
- Using the mini toolbar
- Customising Word’s Quick Access Toolbar
- Formatting with styles
- Using the navigation pane
- Inserting a Word table
- Components of the Outlook ribbon
- Layout of the Outlook home page
- Working with emails
- Creating Quick Step rules
- Adding contacts
- Creating calendar events and meetings
- Using the screenshot tool
- Using Outlook Web Access
- Components of the Excel ribbon
- Using the Quick Analysis tool
- Creating simple formulae
- Using simple functions
- Using AutoFill
- Creating simple charts
- Creating an Excel table
- Applying conditional formatting
- Components of the PowerPoint ribbon
- Adding new slides with different layouts
- Adding SmartArt graphics
- Changing the design
- Adding animation
- Adding transition effects
- Playing the slideshow
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a Microsoft Office course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the Microsoft Office training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Microsoft Office Basics courses are presented by expert instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using Microsoft Office.
- If you don’t have access to Microsoft Office software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.