Microsoft Office training for beginners, teaching key techniques in the four primary Office applications.
You’ll learn about using:
- Word, to create consistent, formatted documents.
- Outlook, for sending and receiving emails, managing your contacts and organising your calendar.
- Excel, to create spreadsheets that make use of formulae and functions.
- PowerPoint, to create aesthetically-pleasing slideshows, with transition effects and animations.
This course is ideal for newcomers to Microsoft Office, and those with limited Office experience.
Microsoft Office courses are hosted by highly experienced instructors. For details, see Expert trainers.
Office training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher back in the work-place.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of Microsoft Office training. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Microsoft Office training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Training can be based on any recent version of Office (2007 and later).
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this course for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for Microsoft Office training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request Microsoft Office Basics course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request Microsoft Office Basics course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Microsoft Office courses are hosted by Tim Price, Fay Strangwood, Simon Lambourne and Wendy Sprakes.
Tim is a Microsoft Certified Trainer, Microsoft Office Specialist, Master and Expert. He has vast experience training in all recent versions of Office, as well as related applications such as SharePoint, Project and Access.
Tim has worked in the IT Industry for over 30 years. Prior to specialising in Microsoft Office training, he held roles in software development, application design and project management.
Tim is passionate about training and is known for his approachable, relaxed style of delivery. He gets tremendous satisfaction from facilitating in the development of other people.
Fay has 20 years’ hosting software application training courses. She specialises in training in:
- The Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Microsoft SharePoint and Project.
- Microsoft Dynamics 365.
Fay has a BA in English & Education Studies, and an ITIL Foundation Certificate.
She enjoys helping people who don’t speak ‘techie’ make the most of the software they have available to them.
Wendy is a Microsoft Master Instructor (MMI) and a qualified teacher (QTS).
Wendy began her working life as a CAD operator, working through the ranks of trainee draughtsman, graduating as a professional Mechanical Engineer, through to Project Engineer in the CAE Industry.
She then went on to qualify as a teacher, and has been hosting Microsoft Office courses since 2000. Wendy trains all applications in the Office suite, including Word, Excel and other, more niche applications such as Visio and Project, from beginner to advanced and customised level. Wendy has been a staff member, delivering IT and Project Management modules for Chesterfield College, and a course leader for Microsoft Project at Sheffield Hallam University for five years.
Away from training, Wendy is an accomplished jazz musician. Her music enjoys regular airplay on both regional and national stations including BBC and JazzFM.
Simon has been an IT trainer for over 10 years, specialising in the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
Simon enjoys training people of all abilities. He places a great emphasis establishing a good rapport with delegates, creating a high-quality learning environment which he can utilise to build confidence in the use of the applications being taught.
Away from training, Simon is an avid fan of the Marvel Superhero films and he enjoys cooking, especially curries!
- Components of the Word ribbon
- Using the mini toolbar
- Customising Word’s Quick Access Toolbar
- Formatting with styles
- Using the navigation pane
- Inserting a Word table
- Components of the Outlook ribbon
- Layout of the Outlook home page
- Working with emails
- Creating Quick Step rules
- Adding contacts
- Creating calendar events and meetings
- Using the screenshot tool
- Using Outlook Web Access
- Components of the Excel ribbon
- Using the Quick Analysis tool
- Creating simple formulae
- Using simple functions
- Using AutoFill
- Creating simple charts
- Creating an Excel table
- Applying conditional formatting
- Components of the PowerPoint ribbon
- Adding new slides with different layouts
- Adding SmartArt graphics
- Changing the design
- Adding animation
- Adding transition effects
- Playing the slideshow