Autodesk Alias training for beginners, teaching key techniques for sketching, product design and visualisation.
Alias Design is a powerful surfacing and designing software used widely in industries with a requirement to design and style. It offers a comprehensive toolset that enables designers to transfer their ideas into reality.
Our Alias Design Essentials course teaches new users key techniques in the software. Sessions include:
- Overview of the Alias interface.
- An introduction to the principles of basic curve and surface creation and geometry manipulation.
- Concept surfacing and technical surfacing.
- Overview of industry surface modelling best practises and procedures.
Upcoming course dates
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for anyone who wants to begin using the Alias Design software.
Whilst many delegates are working (or are going to be working) in the automotive industry, this course is relevant to anyone in a design role, including those working in the marine, aerospace, sports equipment and consumer product industries.
Accredited Alias training
Armada is an Autodesk authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our Alias training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Alias courses are hosted by Carl Portman, an Autodesk Certified Instructor from an engineering background who has worked extensively in the automotive industry.
How will I learn?
Alias training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Alias.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for Alias Design, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited Alias Design training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Alias training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Alias trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No prior Alias software experience is necessary. Experience using an Autodesk application such as AutoCAD is beneficial but not essential.
Training is based primarily on Alias 2019, running on Windows. It is relevant to all recent versions of Alias.
Our guarantees to you
We want our delegates to go away satisfied.
Our price guarantee is your assurance that you’re getting the best value for money.
Our training guarantee ensures that you learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Alias training also available
As well as our scheduled courses, Alias Design Essentials training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group, hosted at one of our centres, or your venue.
On-request training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing in Alias. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Alias Design training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
Cancellations and transfers
If a booking on a scheduled Alias Design Essentials course is cancelled giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If a delegate requests a transfer to a different scheduled Alias Design Essentials course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a transfer fee is payable. View transfer terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Alias courses are hosted by Carl Portman.
Carl has been an Autodesk-accredited instructor for 25 years, and a CAD consultant for 35 years. He lectures in 3D modelling at a local college (City and Guilds).
Carl’s background is in engineering, with his specialism being automotive. Projects that Carl has completed include designing complete car plants for Jaguar Land Rover.
Carl has expert knowledge of a wide range of 3D design applications. As well as Alias, he hosts courses in AutoCAD, Fusion 360 and Inventor, and Dassault Systemes SolidWorks.
Until recently, Carl raced motorbikes. He knows Silverstone and Brands Hatch like the back of his hand, and he has the scars to prove it.
Getting Started with Autodesk Alias Design
- Introduction to Alias Design
- Basic Terms used in Alias Design
- Representation of Curves
- Representation of Surfaces
- Other Alias products: Automotive, AutoStudio, Surface, VRED
- The Alias Design Interface
- History View
- Windows Layouts
- Marking Menus
- Viewing Panels
- Workflows in Alias Design
- Understanding Symbols in Menu, Palette, and Shelves Window
- Hot Keys
- Creating Customized Schemes
- Object Lister Window
- Different States of Node
Working with Basic Tools
- Introduction to Basic Tools
- Selecting Tools
- Methods of Creating Objects
- Creating Keypoint Curves
- Features of a Curve
- Creating Curves
- Creating Primitives
- Pick Tools
- Transform Tools
- Shading Objects in View Windows
Working with Surfaces
- Creating Surfaces
- Editing Features
- Editing Keypoint Curves
- Construction Objects
- Working with Layers
- Controlling the Display of Objects
- Controlling the Visibility of Objects
- Secondary Surfaces
- Creating a Fillet Surface
- Creating Freeform Blend Surface
- Creating a Profile Blend Surface
- Modifying the Objects Proportionally
- Moving the CVs Normally
- Generating Curves-on-Surface
- Duplicating Objects
Advanced Surface Modelling Tools
- Advanced Surfaces
- Creating a Rail Surface
- Creating a Square Surface
- Creating N-Sided Surfaces
- Creating Multi-Surface Drafts
- Transforming the CVs and Hulls
- Advanced Modelling
- Refining the Edges of Surfaces
- Editing Curves
- Modifying a Curve
- Breaking Curves
- Sectioning a Group of Curves
- Editing Objects
- Attaching Objects
- Detaching an Object
- Inserting Edit Points into an Object
- Extending an Object
- Offsetting Objects
- Setting the Surface Orientation
- Unifying the Normals of Surfaces
Advanced Modelling and Editing Tools
- Dynamic Shape Modelling
- Dynamic Shape Modelling Tools
- Understanding Curve Networks
Working with Meshes
- Creating Meshes
- Projection on Mesh
- Mesh Partitioning Operations
- Defects in Meshes
- Repairing Meshes
Basics of Rendering
- Introduction to Rendering
- Types of Renderers
- Commonly used Terms in Rendering
- Using the VRED Renderer
To make your Alias Design training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) Alias Design training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Alias Design training for less.
If you book multiple course places, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Alias Design course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
- Delegates self-funding their training for career progression purposes.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for training bundles or on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a course for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC).
- Be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.