Dates and booking
Birmingham / Bromsgrove training centres
Milton Keynes training centre
Reading training centre
Photoshop training course for beginners, teaching key techniques for creating, editing and manipulating sophisticated images.
Adobe Photoshop is the de facto standard for high-end image creation and manipulation.
Introduction to Adobe Photoshop training covers key tools and features, including colour correction, working with layers, compositing images and preparing images for use on the Web.
This course is ideal for newcomers to Photoshop, and those with limited Photoshop experience.
Upcoming course dates
Accredited Photoshop training
Armada is an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC), accredited by Adobe to provide Photoshop training.
Photoshop courses are hosted by Adobe Certified Instructors with vast experience of using the application professionally. For further details, see Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
Photoshop training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Photoshop.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for Photoshop, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an Adobe‑accredited Photoshop training course. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Photoshop training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Photoshop trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No prior Photoshop knowledge is necessary.
Training is based primarily on Photoshop CC 2019. The techniques taught are relevant to all recent releases of Photoshop.
All Photoshop training is suitable for both Windows and Mac users.
Our guarantees to you
Our price guarantee is your assurance that you’re getting the best value for money.
Our training guarantee ensures that you learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Photoshop training available
As well as our scheduled courses, Introduction to Photoshop training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group, hosted at one of our centres, or your venue.
On-request training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing in Photoshop. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Photoshop training can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months.
For further details, see training course payment options.
Cancellations and transfers
If a booking on a scheduled Introduction to Photoshop course is cancelled giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If a delegate requests a transfer to a different scheduled Introduction to Photoshop course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a transfer fee is payable. View transfer terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Adobe Photoshop courses are hosted by:
- Phil Talbot
- Philip Odell
- Greta Powell
- Mark Gatter
- Andrew Moreton
- Lynne Telfer
- Ken Fisher
- Marek Mularczyk
- Pete Owen
Phil works as an Adobe Design Specialist and Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI).
He has expert knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat, and uses all four applications extensively in his professional work.
Phil’s professional qualifications and extensive experience provide an ideal base to train delegates using blended learning techniques to improve the individuals’ and organisations’ capabilities.
He has worked with and trained many blue-chip organisations, including FTSE 100 companies, in a career spanning 25 years.
Philip is an Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI), specialising in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and FrameMaker.
Philip began his working life with Texas Instruments, before joining Adobe in 1995, where he worked for five years. Philip still has links with Adobe, manning their stands and carrying out presentations when they’re exhibiting in the UK.
For the last eighteen years, Philip has worked as a graphic design specialist, consultant and trainer. He continues to use Adobe applications extensively in his day-to-day professional work.
Greta Powell is long-established consultant and trainer in graphic design, print and digital publishing, specialising in the key Adobe applications: InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
She has worked as a consultant to some of the biggest publishing companies in Europe.
Greta also has expert knowledge of Adobe’s e-Learning development application, Captivate, and the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
Away from her training and consultancy work, Greta has a passion for photography.
Mark is an Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) with expert knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat.
Mark has specialised in all aspects of the digital pre-press process for over three decades, including 18 years in California, where he worked as the production manager for the biggest print shop in the north part of the state.
He began training in 1998, and he holds a teaching qualification.
He has published five books, which you’ll find on Amazon, covering topics relating to graphic design and polytunnel gardening, one of Mark’s interests when not delivering a course.
Andrew has been working in all areas of digital publishing for most of his life.
He’s an Adobe Certified Instructor in Photoshop, InDesign and Dreamweaver and has worked as a Designer, Art-worker, Production and repro person, trainer and mentor.
When he’s not doing digital things, he cooks, listens to loud music, reads and runs a kids comics club at his local library.
Ken is a Professional Photographer and Digital Trainer. He is an Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) and a qualified teacher.
Ken specialises in Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom. He is an Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) in both applications, which he has used extensively in his work for over 20 years.
Ken’s mix of a practical Photographic background and extensive teaching experience in colleges, universities and the adult lifelong learning sector gives him a unique perspective on creating a learning environment which enables learners to achieve and excel.
Marek is a long-established Adobe Certified Instructor.
Adobe applications which Marek has expert knowledge of include InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Animate and Acrobat. He is an Adobe Certified Expert in all of these applications, and he uses them regularly in his professional work.
Marek is the author of a range of published books and video training DVDs including The Complete Photoshop CC, The Complete Lightroom CC and Unleash the power of Photoshop.
Based on delegate feedback collected by Adobe in 2015, Marek Mularczyk was ranked in the top 10 Adobe Certified Instructors in the world!
Prior to focusing on training, Marek worked as a professional photographer for over 12 years. Photography remains his passion, and in his spare time he travels Europe in search of that perfect picture.
As a long-standing Adobe Certified Instructor, Pete has trained and facilitated individuals and teams from a wide range of industries from organisations including Coca Cola, Disney, Nestlé, Guinness and McDonald’s. expertise
Adobe applications in which Pete runs regular training courses include InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
In his professional work, Pete has worked in the field of design across a broad range of media for many years. He has specialist knowledge in a wide range of topics including:
- Illustration: Pete is an award-wining illustrator.
- Author: Pete has designed, written and illustrated over twenty published traditional print books on a variety of subjects including graphic arts.
- Interactive media, mobile publishing and app development for tablets and smartphones.
- Website development.
Away from training, Pete spends as much time as possible indulging his passion for outdoor pursuits.
- Vector vs. bitmap graphics
- Image resolution
- Interface – tools/control panel/panels)
- Preferences – units/increments/guides/ Undos
- Paint tools – Paintbrush/Pencil/Eraser…
- Tool presets – saving tool settings
- Working with pen and tablets
- Gradients – linear/radial/angled
Basic Selection techniques
- Selection tools – Marquee/Lasso/Magic wand/Quick Selection
- Modifying selections
- Colour range – making selections based on colour
Working with layers
- Introduction – layer concepts
- Creating, modifying and controlling
- Transparency – opacity and blend modes
- Layer styles – layer specific styles such as patterns/gradients/fills…
- Layer groups – organising layers
- Aligning/distributing layers
- Positioning/smart guides
- Clipping masks – masking using layers
Working with colours
- Colour theory – RGB/CMYK
- Gamut – identify non-printing colours
- Saving colours – swatches
- Eyedropper tool
Saving your work
- File formats – benefits and uses of formats: psd/tif/jpg/png…
- Transforming – scale/rotate/skew/distort/ perspective/ warping
- Image and canvas size
- Crop tools
- Content Aware scaling
- Alpha Channels – saving selections/areas of colour
- Refine edge – cutting out hair/fur/foliage
Working with External files
- Place linked
- Place embedded
Correcting and enhancing images
- Auto adjustments – tone/colour/contrast
- Histograms – understanding information
- Colour balance
- Replace colour
- Levels – adjusting tonal balance
- Black and white
- Layers – transparency/blend modes
- Layer Masks – non-destructive/paintable masks
- Smart Objects – combine layers to create non-destructive
- Layer Adjustments – apply non-destructive edits such as levels, Hue/Saturation…
- Layer control – merge, flatten
- Type formatting – Character and Paragraph
- Applying filters – watercolour/ solarisation, etc.
- Filter gallery – combining filters
- Blur filters – for effect
- Puppet warp
- Liquify filters – distorting images
- Content aware – move/fill/scale
- Retouching tools – clone stamp/spot/healing brush/patch tool
- Retouching techniques
- Previewing files – and contents
- Reviewing and rating files
- Loading images as layers
Integration with other Adobe apps
- Adobe Stock
- Adobe Fuse
Discounts and bundles
To make your Photoshop training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted Photoshop training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) Photoshop training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Photoshop training for less.
Photoshop training bundle
Photoshop training bundle. Attend:
- Introduction to Photoshop (2 days), and
- Advanced Photoshop (1 day)
for £495 + VAT, saving £45+ VAT.
The bundle price is applied automatically when you book these two courses.
If you book multiple course places, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Photoshop course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for training bundles or on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a course for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC).
- Be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.