One-day Plain English training course that teaches techniques for producing documents that are clear and concise.
Clear, reader-focused documents written in Plain English provide meaningful information that is easy to understand and act upon. Providing clear and concise information improves efficiency, effectiveness and helps your business stand out from the rest with an improved image.
Our Plain English course investigates what readers look for in a document, and teaches simple processes to ensure these needs are met. You learn how to:
- Write clearly, effectively and quickly.
- Use Plain English to develop a concise, readable and pleasing writing style.
- Apply the principles of Plain English to any document type, from emails to reports.
- Project a positive image of your business.
- Avoid common errors in grammar, spelling and word usage.
- Communicate precisely what is meant.
Plain English training is available on-request only, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group. We don’t currently offer scheduled (public) Plain English courses. This approach means that we can tailor your training to your exact business needs.
We can host the training at one of our centres, or your venue anywhere in the UK.
Plain English training is provided by highly experienced instructors with 20+ years’ experience hosting courses such as this for business.
How will I learn?
Training combines lecture, demonstration and hands-on practice.
Exercises provide activity-based experience and help build delegates’ confidence writing in Plain English. These exercises can be tailored to deal with issues specific to your business.
You have ample opportunity to discuss specific requirements with the trainer.
Plain English training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher back in the work-place.
- Job aids and roadmaps to use post-course.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of a plain English training course. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Plain English training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their trainer to help with any post-course issues.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this course for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for business writing training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
If a company or delegate cancels an business writing training course booking giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
Why good writing matters
- Making your business more effective
- Adding value to the public image of your business
- Increased profitability through better communication
Identifying your audience and objective
- Reader-focused and writer-focused writing
- Assessing your audience
- Identifying your audience’s preferred writing style
- Determining the document’s objective
Planning your writing
- The pre-writing phase
- Collecting and organising information
- Preparing your structure
- Outliner tools
- Testing your structure
- Drafting and revising
- Meeting deadlines
Using plain English
- Getting the right sentence length and type
- Using active voice
- Why active voice is effective
- When passive voice should be used
- Imperative voice and when it should be avoided
- Avoiding nominalizations
- Using ‘you’ and ‘we’
- Appropriate words
- Using positive language
- Tables and lists
Avoiding common pitfalls
- Reviewing your writing
- Building a grammar and punctuation toolbox
- Applying essential editing techniques
- Checking and amending your document
- Eliminating spelling and typographical errors
- Identifying and dealing with…
- Fragmented and run-on sentences
- Misused words
- Myths in writing
- Split infinitives
- Beginning and ending sentences