Dates and booking
Birmingham / Bromsgrove training centres
Milton Keynes training centre
Reading training centre
Illustrator training course for beginners, teaching key techniques for creating and editing vector graphics quickly and effectively.
Adobe Illustrator is the industry-leading application for working with vector graphics. The comprehensive set of tools and features available provides everything you need to produce extraordinary graphics for print, video, the web and mobile devices.
Introduction to Illustrator training covers key tools and features, teaching you how to:
- Use Illustrator’s powerful drawing tools to work with shapes and layers, and apply effects and styles.
- Create sophisticated artwork and graphics for print, web, interactive, mobile and motion designs.
- Create logos with special type effects.
- Use Illustrator’s powerful Live Trace and Live Paint tools.
You also investigate the most effective ways of integrating Illustrator into your workflow.
This course is ideal for new and novice Illustrator users who needs to create illustrations, logos, maps, graphs, diagrams, advertisements and other graphics.
Accredited Illustrator training
Armada is an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC), accredited by Adobe to provide Illustrator training.
Illustrator training is hosted by Adobe Certified Instructors, who are Adobe Certified Experts in the application, with vast experience of using it professionally.
How will I learn?
Illustrator training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Illustrator.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for Illustrator, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an Adobe‑accredited Illustrator training course. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Illustrator training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Illustrator trainer to help with any post-course issues.
No prior Illustrator knowledge is necessary.
Training is based primarily on Illustrator CC 2019. The techniques taught are relevant to all recent releases of Illustrator.
All Illustrator training is suitable for both Windows and Mac users.
Our guarantees to you
Our price guarantee is your assurance that you’re getting the best value for money.
Our training guarantee ensures that you learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Illustrator training available
As well as our scheduled courses, Introduction to Illustrator training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group, hosted at one of our centres, or your venue.
On-request training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing in Illustrator. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Illustrator training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
If a company or delegate cancels an Illustrator training course booking giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
- Interface – window/palettes/menus
- Bitmap vs vector graphics
- Resolution/print theory
- Locating help
- New documents – document setup
- Basic shapes – rectangles/ellipses
- Viewing – preview/outline
- Object Stacking order
- Selecting and modifying shapes
- Colour – fills and strokes
- Selection and Direct select tools
- Magic Wand and Lasso selections
- Shaper tool – ‘predictive’ drawing
- Pencil tool – freehand drawing
- Paintbrush and Blob brush tools
- Curvature tool – simple, smooth, more accurate shapes
Drawing – pen tool
- Drawing with the pen tool
- Modify shapes – cut, join, align
- Alignment/smart guides
- Drawing using guides
- Drawing over a template
- Free transform tool
- Cutting/joining paths
Fills and textures
- Colour theory – RGB/CMYK
- Colours – creating, editing, sharing Spot colours – Pantone™
- Creating Patterns Creating Gradients
- Libraries – sharing/accessing various elements throughout Illustrator and CC
- Free Transform tool
- Scale, rotate, reflect and shear tools
- Repeating transformations
- Isolation mode
- Edit colours – edit colours throughout a graphic
- Symbols – updateable graphics Modifying symbols
- Introduction to layers
- Controlling layers – viewing/locking/printing
- Exporting layers – to InDesign, Acrobat and Photoshop
Saving and file formats
- Saving – file types – ai, eps, pdf…
- Exporting – file types
- Share on behance – online showcase
- Configuring preferences – units, increments, grids/guides, interface…
- Artboard tool – rotating/moving/resizing
- Brushes – art/scatter/calligraphic/bristle/ pattern
- Effects – Applying editable effects as bitmap or vector
- Type characteristics – size/leading/tracking…
- Point and area type tools
- Importing type
- Threading text boxes
- Text wrap
- Outlining type – pros and cons
- Touch type tool – adjust individual letters
- Masking objects – draw inside and Clipping Masks
- Live Trace – vectorising bitmap images
- Live Paint – quicker painting for areas
- Compound paths Shapebuilder tool
- Pathfinder – combine several shapes
Discounts and bundles
To make your Illustrator training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted Illustrator training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) Illustrator training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Illustrator training for less.
Illustrator training bundle
- Introduction to Illustrator (2 days), and
- Advanced Illustrator (1 day)
for £475 + VAT, saving £15 + VAT.
The bundle price is applied automatically when you book these two courses.
If you book multiple course places, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Illustrator course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
- Delegates self-funding their training for career progression purposes.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for training bundles or on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a course for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC).
- Be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.