Dates and booking
Live online training
Birmingham / Bromsgrove training centres
Comprehensive Autodesk Inventor training for newcomers, teaching how to create production-ready parts and assemblies.
Autodesk Inventor provides a comprehensive set of 3D mechanical CAD tools for creating production-ready parts and assemblies, and then visualising, simulating and analysing how a design will work under real-world conditions.
Inventor Essentials provides a comprehensive introduction to the application, teaching you:
- The fundamental principles behind 3D parametric part and assembly design.
- The use of the tools and features available in Inventor to create production-ready part and assembly drawings.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures and comprehensive sanitisation implemented.
We continue to offer all courses in our popular live online format.
Upcoming course dates
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at designers and engineers who want to start using Inventor.
Accredited Inventor training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our Inventor training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Inventor courses are hosted by Autodesk Certified Instructors, with vast experience of using the application professionally. For further details, see Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
Inventor training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Inventor.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Inventor training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A highly-practical training guide for Inventor, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited Inventor training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
Inventor certification exams
When you attend Inventor training, you’re not assessed and there is no exam to sit. We teach you practical skills you can use in the real world, not prepare you to sit a test.
If you want to gain an industry-recognised credential in Inventor, we offer Autodesk certification exams that you can sit on a future date.
Exams can be sat at our Bromsgrove centre, on online. For further details, see Certification exams.
After course support
Following Inventor training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Inventor trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Delegates should have a good working knowledge of Windows. Experience using an Autodesk application, such as AutoCAD or Revit, is beneficial but not essential. No prior 3D modelling experience is necessary.
Training is based primarily on Inventor 2022. It is relevant to users of Inventor 2016 and later.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Inventor training available
Inventor Essentials training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request Inventor training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Inventor training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Inventor Essentials course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Inventor Essentials training courses are hosted by:
Carl Portman has been an Autodesk-accredited instructor for 25 years, a College Lecturer (City and Guilds 3D modelling) for 15 years and a CAD consultant for 35 years.
Carl’s background is in engineering. He has vast design experience in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace and medical, and he continues to carry out project work for a range of clients. Projects that Carl has completed include designing complete car plants for Jaguar Land Rover.
Carl has expert knowledge of:
- A wide range of 3D design applications used in engineering, including AutoCAD, Alias, Fusion 360, Inventor and SolidWorks.
- Machining, CAM and CNC.
Away from work, Carl’s passion is motorsport, and until recently he raced motorbikes. He knows Silverstone and Brands Hatch like the back of his hand, and he has the scars to prove it.
Andy has worked in CAD for over 30 years in roles including Draughtsman, CAD System Manager, Project Manager and Design Engineer.
In recent years, Andy has focused on developing and delivering training courses. He is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor (ACI), and he focuses primarily on Autodesk applications including AutoCAD, Inventor, Fusion 360, 3ds Max and Sketchbook, as well as Dassault Systemes SolidWorks.
Andy continues to undertake project work to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and practices. He specialises in modelling complex 3D designs from prototype to production, including the development of visuals and animations for a range of engineering projects.
Industries in which Andy has significant experience include aerospace, defence and automotive.
- Autodesk Inventor user interface
- View manipulation
- Designing parametric parts
Basic sketching techniques
- Creating 2D sketches
- Geometric constraints
- Dimensioning sketches
Basic shape design
- Creating basic sketched features
- Editing parametric parts
- 3D grip editing
- Creating work features
- Creating basic swept shapes
Detailed shape design
- Creating chamfers and fillets
- Creating holes and threads
- Patterning and mirroring features
- Creating thin-walled parts
Assembly design overview
- Designing assemblies
- Using project files in assembly designs
Placing, creating and constraining components
- Placing components in an assembly
- Constraining components
- Placing standard components using the content center
- Basic part design in an assembly
Interacting with an assembly
- Identifying parts in an assembly
- Analysis and motion tools
- Presenting your assembly
Basic view creation
- Drawing creation environment
- Base and projected views
- Section views
- Detail views
- Crop views
- Managing views
Dimensions, annotations and tables
- Automated dimensioning techniques
- Manual dimensioning techniques
- Annotating holes and threads
- Creating centerlines, symbols and leaders
- Revision tables and tags
Annotating assembly drawings
- Assembly-centric bill of materials
- Creating and customising parts lists
- Creating balloons
Drawing standards and resources
- Setting drawing standards
- Drawing resources
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real Inventor course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the Inventor training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Inventor Essentials courses are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using Inventor.
- If you don’t have access to Inventor software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.
Discounts and bundles
To make your Inventor training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted Inventor CAM training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) Inventor training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Inventor training for less.
Inventor CAM training bundle
for £995 + VAT (classroom-based) or £745 + VAT (live online training), saving £95 + VAT in both cases.
The bundle price will be applied automatically when you add these two courses to your basket.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Inventor course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.
Inventor certification exams, leading to industry-recognised credentials, available to sit in-centre or online
Whether you’re a student or a professional, Inventor professional certification validates your skillset, accelerating career advancement and helping you stand out in a competitive job market.
There are two certification exam levels for Inventor, which are suitable for users at different stages in their careers:
- Autodesk Certified User (ACU): entry level exam testing fundamental concepts and procedures.
- Autodesk Certified Professional (ACP): for those with advanced skills who can solve complex workflow and design challenges.
Successful candidates receive:
- An e-certificate (PDF) from Autodesk confirming your Inventor-certified status. Your certificate is available anytime through your Certiport exam account.
- An official Autodesk-Certified badge that you can use to market your skills, e.g. on your business cards, in your email signature, on your website, etc.
You also have the option of appearing in Autodesk’s publicly-accessible database of certified Inventor users. This facility lets you:
- Prove your certified status to prospective clients and employers.
- Make yourself available to companies looking to appoint or commission a Certified User or Professional in Inventor.
To read more about the benefits of achieving Autodesk-certified status in Inventor, read Lyndsay Mann’s blog What benefits does Autodesk certification bring?
Inventor exams in-centre or online
Inventor exams can be sat at our Bromsgrove (Saxon Business Park) centre, or online from your place of work or home.
To protect exam integrity, both in-centre and online exams sittings are monitored by proctors. ID verification is required.
To sit an online exam, all you need is a computer (Windows or Mac) with:
- A strong Internet connection (min. 5Mbps).
- Screen resolution at least 1200 x 800.
- Chrome browser.
You don’t need to have Inventor installed – you’ll access Inventor on a virtual computer during your test. No webcam is required.
Autodesk Certified User (ACU) exam in Inventor
Entry level exam to validate your knowledge of fundamental concepts and procedures in Inventor.
- Qualification: Autodesk Certified User in Inventor.
- Length of exam: 50 minutes.
- Recommended preparation: Attend Inventor Essentials training, and have approximately 50 hours’ experience using Inventor.
- Further details: download exam guide.
Autodesk Certified Professional (ACP) exam in Inventor
For those who possess more advanced skills, who can solve complex workflow and design challenges in Inventor.
- Qualification: Autodesk Certified Professional in Inventor.
- Length of exam: 2 hours.
- Recommended preparation: Attend Inventor Essentials training, and have 400+ hours’ experience using Inventor.
- Further details: download exam guide.
A practice test is available that reflects the questions you’re likely to be asked in your ACU or ACP exam in Inventor. The practice test is taken online, from your place of work or home.
The test has two modes:
- Testing mode, which replicates your exam.
- Training mode, which provides step-by-step help on questions.
The practice test can be retaken up to 30 times in a one-year period.
Inventor ACU exam: £100 + VAT. Discounted price if you’ve attended training: £85 + VAT.
Inventor ACP exam: £150 + VAT. Discounted price if you’ve attended training: £125 + VAT.
Inventor practice test (ACU or ACP): £50 + VAT. Discounted price if booked at the same time as an ACU or ACP exam: £30 + VAT.
Inventor ACU exam retake: £50 + VAT.
Inventor ACP exam retake: £75 + VAT.
When can I take my Inventor exam?
You can take your exam in one of our regular exam sessions.
In-class exam dates: TBC.
Online exam dates: 27 Jan, 17 Feb, 10 Mar.
ACU exams usually take place in the morning, and ACP exams in the afternoon, giving you the opportunity to take both exams on the same day should you want to.
We confirm your exam time(s) one week before your sitting
Booking an exam and payment options
To book an exam, please email email@example.com providing details of the exam you’d like to sit, or call 01527 834783.
Payment for AutoCAD exams can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
Q and A
- What is the pass mark for Inventor certification exams?
You will be notified of the pass mark prior to your exam starting.
- When do I find out if I’ve passed?
Immediately, when you complete your exam. You result is displayed on-screen.
- What happens if I do not pass?
You will receive a diagnostic score report that indicates areas for improvement. You may then retake the examination as needed. Should you need to retake an exam, simply re-book. Discounted prices are available for retakes.
- Who can I contact if I have more questions?
Email any questions you have to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Top 10 reasons to get Autodesk certified
- Autodesk professional certification – the power to be remarkable.
- Autodesk professional certification – give you organisation the power to excel.
- Parsons Brinckerhoff case study.
Exam Ts & Cs
Andy was very approachable and happy to dive into other areas of Inventor which were not part of the course in order to give me and the rest of the trainees important information on how to use Inventor for a massive increase to company productivity. ”