Autodesk ReCap training for new users, teaching how to create 2D plans and 3D models from photographs or laser scans of sites or objects.
ReCap Pro is a point cloud application used by designers and engineers for reality capture – the creation of 2D plans and 3D models from photographs, such as those taken by drones, or laser scans of sites or objects. You can then import the plans and models you create into the applications you use, such as Revit, Civil 3D, Navisworks, InfraWorks or AutoCAD.
ReCap training provides a thorough grounding, teaching key techniques including:
- Importing files
- Creating a ReCap project from point cloud data
- Viewing, navigating and changing the appearance of points clouds
- Selecting and clipping points
- Limiting volumes within a point cloud
- Working with scans
- Cleaning up your project
- Preparing your project for export
ReCap training is arranged on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group. Your training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures implemented – reduced numbers, social distancing, you won’t sit next to anyone else, comprehensive sanitisation.
We continue to offer all courses in our popular live online format.
Accredited ReCap training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our ReCap training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
ReCap training is hosted by an Autodesk Certified Instructor. For details, click here.
How will I learn?
ReCap training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running licensed ReCap software.
There’s plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- Comprehensive training notes, to refer to throughout the course and use as a refresher after.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited ReCap training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk.
After course support
Following ReCap training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their ReCap trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Training can be based on any recent version of ReCap to suit you.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this as a ‘closed course’ for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these times to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for ReCap training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request ReCap course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request ReCap course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Martin McCann qualified as an Architect in 1986, and he holds a teaching certificate (further and adult education).
He is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor (ACI), a capacity in which he has taught thousands of professionals, including Architects, Structural Engineers and Mechanical Engineers, for over 20 years.
Martin has expert knowledge of Revit, NavisWorks, ReCap, AutoCAD and AutoCAD Architecture, amongst other Autodesk applications.
He has been commissioned by Autodesk on multiple occasions to host sessions for them at locations including New York, Chicago, Moscow, Milan and Munich. He has trained Autodesk’s staff and many other Autodesk Certified Instructors, and has operated as a visiting Lecturer at the University of Northumbria and Cambridge School of Art.
Martin is the author of the McCann’s BIM Guides series of published Revit training manuals.
Introduction to Autodesk ReCap Pro
- Importing raw and indexed scan files
- Importing photographs
Creating a ReCap project from point cloud data
Viewing and navigating point clouds
Changing the appearance of points clouds
Selecting and clipping points
Limiting volumes within a point cloud
- Adjusting the boundaries and orientation of a limit box
Working with scans
- Removing points outside the area of interest
- Visualising scenes with different configurations
- Hiding, showing and removing scan locations
- Combining laser scans with automated registration
- Registering scans
Cleaning up your project
- Adding dimensions
- Measuring distances and angles between elements in a project
- Automatic shape fitting
Annotation and Search
- Syncing your annotations between desktop and cloud
- Find marked objects, assets, saved views and project tools
Preparing your project for export
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real ReCap course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the ReCap training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online ReCap courses are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using ReCap.
- If you don’t have access to ReCap software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.