Publisher courses at all levels, for individuals and companies looking to create professional and elegant marketing material and business documents.
Microsoft Publisher lets you design unique, professional layouts quickly and easily. You can lay out and style text and graphics to get the professional results you want in print, online, PDF or in emails. A wide range of pre-designed templates are provided for pretty much any purpose, from greeting cards and labels to professional newsletters and marketing materials.
Armada offers Microsoft Publisher training courses to users at all levels:
Publisher training is available on-request only, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group. We don’t currently offer scheduled (public) Publisher courses.
This approach means that we can tailor your training to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the type of documents you’re going to be producing. You can, for example, choose some introductory-level topics, and some advanced topics.
Exercises provide activity-based experience and help build delegates’ confidence using Publisher.
We can host the training at one of our centres, or your venue anywhere in the UK.
Microsoft Publisher courses are hosted by highly experienced instructors. For details, see Expert trainers.
Introduction to Microsoft Publisher training (1 day)
Provides a thorough grounding in Microsoft Publisher, teaching the key techniques you need to begin producing professional-standard documents and marketing materials. Topics covered include:
- Text basics.
- Type handling.
- Using tabs effectively.
- Working with images.
- Using colour.
- Print options and preparing for professional print bureau.
Advanced Microsoft Publisher training (1 day)
Covers the more complex features available, helping you to get the most of the application and improve your results. The topics covered include:
- Advanced layouts and tools.
- Advanced graphics.
- Master pages.
- Styling and formats.
- Incorporating a Table of Contents (ToC).
- Advanced type handling.
- Animation and video.
- Mail merge.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- Comprehensive training materials for Publisher, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher back in the work-place.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of a Microsoft Publisher training course. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Publisher training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Training can be based on any recent version of Publisher (2007 and later).
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this course for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for Microsoft Publisher training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request Microsoft Publisher course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request Microsoft Publisher course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Microsoft Publisher courses are hosted by Greta Powell, Tim Price and Wendy Sprakes.
Greta Powell is long-established consultant and trainer in graphic design, print and digital publishing. She has worked as a consultant to some of the biggest publishing companies in Europe.
Greta has expert knowledge of a range of design and publishing applications. As well as Microsoft Publisher, she’s an expert user of Adobe InDesign and Quark Xpress.
Away from her training and consultancy work, Greta has a passion for photography.
Tim is a Microsoft Certified Trainer, Microsoft Office Specialist, Master and Expert. He has vast experience training in all recent versions of Office, as well as related applications such as SharePoint, Publisher and Access.
Tim has worked in the IT Industry for over 30 years. Prior to specialising in Microsoft Office training, he held roles in software development, application design and project management.
Tim is passionate about training and is known for his approachable, relaxed style of delivery. He gets tremendous satisfaction from facilitating in the development of other people.
Wendy Sprakes is a Microsoft Master Instructor (MMI) and a qualified teacher (QTS).
Wendy began her working life as a CAD operator, working through the ranks of trainee draughtsman, graduating as a professional Mechanical Engineer, through to Project Engineer in the CAE Industry.
She then went on to qualify as a teacher, and has been hosting Microsoft Office courses since 2000. Wendy trains all applications in the Office suite, including Word, Excel and other, more niche applications such as Visio and Publisher , from beginner to advanced and customised level. Wendy has been a staff member, delivering IT and Project Management modules for Chesterfield College, and a course leader for Microsoft Project at Sheffield Hallam University for five years.
Away from training, Wendy is an accomplished jazz musician. Her music enjoys regular airplay on both regional and national stations including BBC and JazzFM.
Introduction to Microsoft Publisher
- Formatting text boxes
- Text box properties
- Text box – multi column setup
- Placing text
- Character and paragraph styles
- Typography and layouts
- Using Design Checker
Using tabs effectively
- The Tab box
- Tab characters including left, right, centre
- Editing tabs
- Moving and deleting tabs
- Adding tab leaders
- Setting precise tab positions
Working with images
- Importing images
- Image file formats – understanding and best practice for use
- Editing images and image frames
- Wrapping text around images
- Professional image and text wrapping tips
- Controlling text wrap
- Print options
- Preparing for professional print bureau
- Exporting to PDF
- PDF best practice and options
- Applying colour to stroke and fill
- Changing and matching colour
- Colour theory
Advanced Microsoft Publisher
Advanced layouts and tools
- Understanding design techniques
- Colour wheels and colour models
- Publisher type that works
- Incorporating publisher and external design
- Working with artwork and photographs
- Graphics and transparency
- Design Gallery
- Graphics Manager task pane
- Image editing tools: pan, zoom, crop
- Fine tuning imagery
- Master page setup
- Creating and editing master pages
- Duplicate master pages
- Master page toolbar and layout tools
- Professional and accurate layouts
- Content blocks for pull quotes, sidebars etc
- Troubleshooting master pages
Styling and formats
- Font schemes
- Creating and editing styles
- Updating styles
- Importing styles
- Professional typography
- Baseline grid
- Font foundry
Incorporating a Table of Contents (ToC)
- Creating ToCs using tables
- Creating a manual ToC
- Table design
- Table anatomy
- Understanding manual ToCs limitations
Advanced type handling
- OpenType fonts
- Ligatures, stylesets, etc
Animation and video
- Working with media files
- Adding media files to Organiser
- Adding and editing keywords
- Sound and motion
- Animated GIFs
- Embedding video
- Create a data source for merge
- Mail merge bar
- Mail merge options
- Tracking merge
- Address lists /data lists for merge
- Exporting to post /email