Civil 3D training course for beginners, teaching techniques for civil design, transportation work, land planning and development.
Civil 3D is the de facto standard software for civil engineering and design. It provides everything you need for surveying, mapping, design, documentation and analysis. It offers easy integration with InfraWorks, Revit Structure and more, and supports BIM workflows.
Our Civil 3D Essentials course provides a thorough grounding in the application and its key features. The topics covered include:
- Working with point data.
- Surface modelling.
- Developing sites.
- Modelling roads, corridors and pipe networks.
- Data sharing, presentation and visualisations.
We host scheduled Civil 3D Essentials courses at our centres in Bromsgrove (close to Birmingham) and Reading. On-request Civil 3D courses (one-to-one Civil 3D training or a Civil 3D ‘closed course’ for your group) is available at all of our centres, or your venue anywhere in the UK.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures and comprehensive sanitisation implemented.
We continue to offer all courses in our popular live online format.
Upcoming course dates
Who should attend?
Typical delegates include civil engineers, land planners and surveyors.
Accredited Civil 3D training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our Civil 3D courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Civil 3D courses are hosted by Philip Madeley, an Autodesk Certified Instructor, industry expert and Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors.
How will I learn?
Civil 3D training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Civil 3D.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for Civil 3D, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited Civil 3D training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
Civil 3D certification exams
When you attend Civil 3D training, you’re not assessed and there is no exam to sit. We teach you practical skills you can use in the real world, not prepare you to sit a test.
If you want to gain an industry-recognised credential in Civil 3D, we offer Autodesk certification exams that you can sit on a future date.
Exams can be sat at our Bromsgrove centre, on online. For further details, see Certification exams.
After course support
Following Civil 3D training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Civil 3D trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Delegates must have a working knowledge of an Autodesk CAD application, such as AutoCAD or Revit. If you don’t have this knowledge, we recommend you attending AutoCAD Essentials training first.
Civil 3D version
Training is based primarily on Civil 3D 2022. It is relevant to users of Civil 3D 2016 and later.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Civil 3D training available
Civil 3D Essentials training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request Civil 3D training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Civil 3D training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Civil 3D Essentials course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Philip’s background is in Civil Engineering. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors, and has worked as a Consultant in this industry for many years.
Philip is also a long-standing Autodesk Certified Instructor, with specialist knowledge of AutoCAD and related GIS applications such as Civil 3D, AutoCAD Map 3D and InfraWorks.
Philip’s approach to training is practical. He loves to utilise his knowledge and experience to show delegates how they can make best use of the software on their own projects.
Away from training, Philip’s interests are photography, and watching rugby and cricket. He also does voluntary work, and describes himself as an all-round lover of life.
Getting Started with Civil 3D
- Windows on the Model
- It’s All About Style
- The Underlying Engine
- Labeling Lines and Curves
- Creating Curves
- Using Transparent Commands
- Using Inquiry Commands
- Establishing Drawing Settings
- The Survey Tab
- Exploring the Survey Database
- Using the Figure Prefix Database
- Using the Survey Data Wizard
- Automatic line generation from
- Points and Code Sets
- Anatomy of a Point
- Creating Basic Points
- Basic Point Editing
- Point Styles
- Point Label Styles
- Point Tables
- User-Defined Properties
- Creating Surfaces in Civil 3D
- Refining and Editing Surfaces
- Surface Styling and Analysis
- Comparing Surfaces
- Labeling the Surface
- Calculating Volume from two surfaces
- Creating Isopachyte surface
- Viewing and analysing Isopachyte surfaces
Pipes and Pipe Networks
- Parts Lists and Part Builder:
- Planning a Typical Pipe Network – a Sanitary Sewer Example
- The Part Catalog
- Part Builder
- Part Styles
- Part Rules
- Parts List
- Pipe Networks:
- Defining property and location Exploring Pipe Networks
- Pipe Network Object Types
- Creating a Sanitary Sewer Network
- Changing Flow Direction
- Editing a Pipe Network
- Creating an Alignment from Network Parts
- Drawing Parts in Profile View
- Adding Pipe Network Labels
- Creating an Interference Check between a Storm and Sanitary Pipe Network
Alignments and Corridors
- Elevate Me
- Profile Display and Stylization
- A Better Point of View
- Profile Utilities
- Editing Profile Views
- Understanding Corridors
- Creating a Simple Road Corridor
- Corridor Anatomy
- Adding a Surface Target for Daylighting
- Applying a Hatch Pattern to a Corridor
- Creating a Corridor Surface
- Performing a Volume Calculation
- Creating a Corridor with a Lane Widening
- Creating a Horizontal Alignment
- Creating a Profile from an Alignment
- Vertical Alignments
- Oﬀset Alignments
- Using Widened Alignments
- Editing and refining Alignment Geometry
- Assemblies and Subassemblies:
- Building Assemblies
- Working with Generic Subassemblies
- Working with Daylight Subassemblies
- Saving Subassemblies and Assemblies for Later Use
- Intersections and roundabouts:
- Getting Creative with Corridor Models
- Using Alignment and Profile Targets to Model a Roadside Swale
- Modeling a Peer-Road Intersection
- Modeling a Cul-de-sac
- Modeling a Widening with an Assembly Oﬀset
- Using a Feature Line as a Width and Elevation Target
- Cross Sections and Mass Haul:
- The Corridor
- Lining Up for Samples
- Creating the Views
- Creating a Single-Section View
- It’s a Material World
- A Little More Sampling
- Working with Grading Feature Lines
- Grading Objects
Data Sharing and Presentation
- Data Shortcuts:
- What Are Data Shortcuts?
- Publishing Data Shortcut Files
- Using Data Shortcuts
- LDT and LandXML:
- What Is LandXML?
- Handling Inbound Data
- Sharing the Model
- Quantity Takeoff:
- AutoCAD 3D Modelling Workspace
- Handling Inbound Data
- Sharing the Model
- Plan Production:
- Preparing for Plan Sets
- Prerequisite Components
- Using View Frames and Match Lines
- Creating Plan & Profile Sheets
- Creating Section Sheets
- Supporting Components
- AutoCAD 3D Modelling Workspace
- Handling Inbound Data
- Sharing the Model
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real Civil 3D course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the Civil 3D training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Civil 3D Essentials courses are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using Civil 3D.
- If you don’t have access to Civil 3D software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.
To make your Civil 3D training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled Civil 3D training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Civil 3D training for less.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Civil 3D course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.
Civil 3D certification exams, leading to industry-recognised credentials, available to sit in-centre or online
Whether you’re a student or a professional, Civil 3D professional certification validates your skillset, accelerating career advancement and helping you stand out in a competitive job market.
For Civil 3D, there is one exam available: Autodesk Certified Professional (ACP).
Successful candidates receive:
- An e-certificate (PDF) from Autodesk confirming your Civil 3D-certified status. Your certificate is available anytime through your Certiport exam account.
- An official Autodesk-Certified badge that you can use to market your skills, e.g. on your business cards, in your email signature, on your website, etc.
You also have the option of appearing in Autodesk’s publicly-accessible database of certified Civil 3D users. This facility lets you:
- Prove your certified status to prospective clients and employers.
- Make yourself available to companies looking to appoint or commission a Certified Professional in Civil 3D.
To read more about the benefits of achieving Autodesk-certified status in Civil 3D, read Lyndsay Mann’s blog What benefits does Autodesk certification bring?
Civil 3D exams in-centre or online
Civil 3D exams can be sat at our Bromsgrove (Saxon Business Park) centre, or online from your place of work or home.
To protect exam integrity, both in-centre and online exams sittings are monitored by proctors. ID verification is required.
To sit an online exam, all you need is a computer (Windows or Mac) with:
- A strong Internet connection (min. 5Mbps).
- Screen resolution at least 1200 x 800.
- Chrome browser.
You don’t need to have Civil 3D installed – you’ll access Civil 3D on a virtual computer during your test. No webcam is required.
Autodesk Certified User (ACP) exam in Civil 3D
For those who possess more advanced skills, who can solve complex workflow and design challenges in Civil 3D.
- Qualification: Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D.
- Length of exam: 2 hours.
- Recommended preparation: Attend Civil 3D Essentials training, and have 400+ hours’ experience using the application.
- Further details: download exam guide.
Civil 3D ACP exam: £150 + VAT. Discounted price if you’ve attended training: £125 + VAT.
Civil 3D ACP exam retake: £75 + VAT.
When can I take my Civil 3D exam?
You can take your exam in one of our regular exam sessions.
In-class exam dates: 4 Nov
Online exam dates: 22 Jul, 12 Aug, 2 Sep, 23 Sep.
ACP exams usually take place on afternoons. We confirm your exam time one week before your sitting.
Booking an exam and payment options
To book an exam, please email email@example.com providing details of the exam you’d like to sit, or call 01527 834783.
Payment for AutoCAD exams can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
Q and A
- What is the pass mark for Civil 3D ACP certification exams?
You will be notified of the pass mark prior to your exam starting.
- When do I find out if I’ve passed?
Immediately, when you complete your exam. You result is displayed on-screen.
- What happens if I do not pass?
You will receive a diagnostic score report that indicates areas for improvement. You may then retake the examination as needed. Should you need to retake an exam, simply re-book. Discounted prices are available for retakes.
- Who can I contact if I have more questions?
Email any questions you have to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Top 10 reasons to get Autodesk certified
- Autodesk professional certification – the power to be remarkable.
- Autodesk professional certification – give you organisation the power to excel.
- Parsons Brinckerhoff case study.
Exam Ts & Cs