Technical author training for newcomers, teaching core principles and writing techniques appropriate to user documentation.
- Analysing your audience.
- Structuring and designing your documents.
- Writing using plain English.
- Avoiding standard errors in punctuation and grammar.
- Designing an effective layout for your documents.
- Reviewing and proof reading documents to improve quality.
Introduction to technical authoring training is the first module of our ISTC-accredited Technical authoring training programme. It is also ideal as a stand-alone course for anyone who needs to begin carrying out technical authoring work, including:
- Career technical authors who haven’t received any formal training.
- People who are considering technical authoring as a profession.
- Those who are not career technical authors but have been asked to carry out technical authoring work as part of their role.
Been furloughed? You can still participate in training without this affecting your furloughed status, as confirmed on gov.uk.
In-class or online
In-class courses are now available to book again. We’re taking comprehensive measures to ensure your health and well-being – fewer people in-class, you won’t sit next to another person, comprehensive cleaning. To read more, see Covid-19 measures.
You can participate in this course online, from your place of work or home, at a discounted price. To read about how this works, see Live online training.
Upcoming course dates
Background and trainers
For over two decades, Armada has been a leading provider of technical authoring services. We have employed and worked with some of the most talented and knowledgeable technical authors in the UK. Our background in the industry makes us ideally suited to offering technical author training.
Introduction to technical authoring courses are hosted by highly experienced instructors who have held senior technical authoring positions and have 30+ years’ experience in technical authoring and related roles. See Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
Technical author training combines lecture, demonstration and hands-on practice. You carry out plenty of practical exercises to learn the techniques taught.
You have ample opportunity to discuss your specific requirements with the trainer.
Training materials and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- Comprehensive training material, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- Resources to use back in the workplace.
- An e-certificate confirming successful course completion. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following technical author training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No prior technical authoring knowledge is necessary.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request technical writing training available
Introduction to technical authoring training is available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request technical writing training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for technical writing training can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months.
For further details, see training course payment options.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Introduction to technical authoring training course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Introduction to technical authoring courses are hosted by:
Nigel is a Co-Founder of Armada Technical Authors with over thirty five years’ experience in user-assistance in a wide range of roles including Technical Writer, Manager, Consultant and Trainer.
Nigel continues to undertake projects from time to time to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and practices. His areas of expertise include software for local government, accountancy and finance.
Crow has over thirty years’ experience in technical authoring, business writing, and training. Her love of language, combined with a natural pickiness and attention to detail, has been put to good use in a variety of editing, writing, management and training roles.
Crow is a highly experienced learning specialist who believes strongly in empowering authors through training. She has developed and delivered technical and business communication skills training for a range of clients including DEFRA, the Marine Stewardship Council, Bio Products Laboratory Limited and NHS Digital.
Crow has three degrees and a Certificate in Education. She is currently working on a range of books based on the writing courses she has developed.
Peter has over thirty years’ experience in the IT industry in roles including programmer, technical author, trainer, business analyst, senior manager and education management consultant.
Peter has written, designed and project-managed everything from printed manuals and technical specifications to online help and computer-based training materials, specialising in writing for an international audience. An expert in document automation and information re-purposing, he uses templates to avoid endlessly reinventing the wheel when producing documents.
Peter develops and teaches a wide range of technical and business writing training courses. Recent consultancy and training clients include Learning Tree International, Airbus, the IAEA and the UN.
- Introduction and objectives
- Recommended reading list
- Why good writing is important and the costs of documentation
Know your audience
- Understand and prioritise the different categories of your audience and handle different levels of reader
- Research the basic tasks of your audience
How to structure your documents
- Understand which sections to include in your manuals and the order in which they should be placed
Write from a design
- Use mind mapping techniques for designing a document
- Learn how to plan the content of your document before you start writing
Skills of writing – 12 golden rules
- Learn the 12 golden rules of writing to help you develop a clear and concise style
- Use readability checking and testing techniques
Punctuation and grammar
- Understand the basics of punctuation and grammar
- Avoid the six most frequently made errors that occur in writing
- Understand the basics of layout and typesetting
- Learn how to format your document for maximum impact
Reviewing and proof reading
- How to check your documentation to ensure it is error free
- Use industry standard techniques for reviewing, rewriting and proof reading
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a technical writing course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the technical writing training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Introduction to technical authoring courses are presented by expert instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on, and you carry out assisted exercises.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.
To make your technical writing training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled technical writing training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get technical writing training for less.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled technical writing course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.