Maya course for beginners, teaching the skills you need to realise your creative ideas including 3D modelling, animation, simulation and rendering.
Autodesk Maya is used to generate 3D assets for use in film, television, game development and architecture. It provides a comprehensive toolset that includes motion graphics, virtual reality and character creation.
Our Maya Essentials course teaches key techniques including:
- Working with objects and nodes.
- Polygon modelling.
- Materials, texturing and mapping.
- Applying materials.
- Lighting and rendering.
- Animation and camera theory.
The course includes a session looking at the most popular renderers used with Maya, including Arnold, V-Ray and mental ray, to help you ascertain the one that best meets your needs.
Maya Essentials training is available on-request only, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group. We don’t currently offer scheduled (public) Maya courses.
We can host the training at one of our centres, or your venue anywhere in the UK.
The training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing in Maya.
Accredited Maya training
Armada is an Autodesk authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our Maya training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Maya courses are hosted by Autodesk Certified Instructors who are experts in 3D design, CGI and the production of visualisations and rendered images. They have been providing training in Maya and similar applications to industry for over 20 years.
How will I learn?
Maya training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Maya.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for Maya, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited Maya training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Maya training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Maya trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No prior Maya knowledge is necessary.
Training can be based on any version of Maya to suit you.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this course for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for Maya training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request Maya Essentials course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request Maya Essentials course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Introduction to Maya
- Maya basics
- The process
- Menus in Maya
- Modules and menu sets
- User interface elements
- The shelf
- Camera panels
- The Hotbox
Working with files
Working with objects
- Scene management editors
- Viewport selection
- Using the Outliner
- Scene hierarchy
- Nodes and attributes
- Using the Display Layer Editor
- Transformation tools
- Additional transformation
- Creating polygon objects
- Combine and separate
- Construction history
- Nonlinear deformers
- Polygon components
- Transforming components
- Adding components
- Removing components
- Polygon normals
- Polygon marking menus
Materials and mapping
- The principles of a surface
- Introduction to the materials editor
- Different types of material
- Applying materials
- Using 2D maps
- Introduction to UVW mapping
- Editing UVW map coordinates
- Applying materials and maps
- Introduction to Mental Ray materials
- Applying and editing Mental Ray materials
- Applying Mental Ray materials
- Introduction to lighting
- Learning general principles
- Working with key-frames
- Animating objects
- Working with the Track View Editor
- Animating an object with key-frames
- Understanding animation controllers
- Working with object hierarchies
- Camera theory
- Creating and editing cameras
- How to compose a scene in the camera view correctly
- Wiring storyboards and cinema-graphic techniques
- Review of Maya’s built-in renderer: Arnold
- Review of popular third-party renderers: V‑Ray, mental ray.
- Render scene dialog
- Scene states
- Batch render
When you attend Maya training at Armada, you’re not assessed. Our courses have been developed to teach you skills you can use in the real world, not pass an exam. Separately, and in addition to our training, you have the option of taking a certification exam that leads to an industry-recognised credential in Maya.
There are two levels of Maya certification which are suitable for users at different stages in their careers: Autodesk Certified User and Autodesk Certified Professional.
Successful candidates receive:
- A personalised e-certificate (PDF) from Autodesk confirming their Maya-certified status.
- An official Autodesk-Certified badge that you can use to market your skills, e.g. on your business cards, in your email signature, on your website, etc.
- The option of appearing in Autodesk’s publicly-accessible database of certified Maya users.
Autodesk Certified User (ACU) exam in Maya
Entry level exam covering the fundamental concepts and procedures in Maya, as well as specific skills that are appropriate for ensuring a base level of proficiency in Maya.
- Qualification: Autodesk Certified User in Maya.
- Cost of exam: £100 + VAT per candidate.
- Length of exam: 75 minutes.
- Recommended preparation: Attend Maya Essentials training, and have approximately 50 hours’ experience using the application.
- Further details: download exam guide.
Autodesk Certified Professional (ACP) exam in Maya
Covers a broad range of skills and requires you to perform more complex tasks and design challenges in Maya.
- Qualification: Autodesk Certified Professional in Maya.
- Cost of exam: £150 + VAT per candidate.
- Length of exam: 2 hours.
- Recommended preparation: Attend Maya Essentials training, and have 400+ hours’ experience using the application.
- Further details: download exam guide.
If you book an ACU exam with us, a practice test is available. The test reflects the questions you’re likely to be asked in your exam; you can take this test online from home. (Practice tests are not currently available for ACP exams.)
The test has two modes:
- Testing mode, which replicates your exam.
- Training mode, which provides step-by-step help on questions.
The practice test fee is £45 + VAT.
The practice test can be retaken up to 100 times in a one-year period.
When can I take my exam?
You can take your exam in one of our monthly exam days.
2019 exam dates: 26 Apr, 13 Jun, 12 Jul, 16 Aug, .
Start time: ACU exams: 10am. ACP exams: 2pm.
You can take both an ACU exam and an ACP exam on the same day.
Exam sessions are hosted at our Saxon Business Park, Bromsgrove centre.
Further details about Autodesk certification can be found at: