Teaches how to use Revit’s advanced features and tools relevant to structural engineering.
The topics covered include:
- Working with detail components and managing details.
- Working with rebar and families.
- Performing analytical analysis.
- Collaborating on designs with other team members.
- Techniques for using Revit more productively.
As part of the course we run an open session looking at topics requested by delegates, answering any questions you have and looking at areas you’re having problems with.
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at structural engineers already using Revit who want to take their use of the application to the next level.
Upcoming course dates
Accredited Revit training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our Revit training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Advanced Revit courses are hosted by Autodesk Certified Instructors, with vast experience of using the application professionally. For details, see Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
Advanced Revit training for Structures training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Revit.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A highly-practical training guide for Revit, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of accredited Advanced Revit training for Structures. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Advanced Revit training for Structures, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Revit trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
You should be familiar with the fundamentals of Revit, i.e. have attended Revit Essentials training or have equivalent knowledge through other means.
Training is based primarily on Revit 2020, running on Windows. It is relevant to all recent versions of Revit.
Our guarantees to you
We want our delegates to go away satisfied.
Our price guarantee is your assurance that you’re getting the best value for money.
Our training guarantee ensures that you learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Revit training also available
As well as our scheduled courses, Advanced Revit training for Structures is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed’ course for your group, hosted at one of our centres, or your venue.
On-request training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing in Revit. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Revit training can be made bank transfer or card. View training course payment options.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies.
Cancellations and transfers
If a booking on a scheduled Advanced Revit for Structures course is cancelled giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If a delegate requests a transfer to a different scheduled Advanced Revit for Structures course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, a transfer fee is payable. View transfer terms.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Revit courses are hosted by Martin McCann and Stewart Cobb.
Martin McCann qualified as an Architect in 1986, and he holds a teaching certificate (further and adult education).
He is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor (ACI), a capacity in which he has taught Revit and BIM to thousands of professionals, including Architects, Structural Engineers and Mechanical Engineers, for over 20 years.
Martin has been commissioned by Autodesk on multiple occasions to host sessions for them at locations including New York, Chicago, Moscow, Milan and Munich. He has trained Autodesk’s staff and many other Autodesk Certified Instructors in the use of Revit and BIM, and has operated as a visiting Lecturer at the University of Northumbria and Cambridge School of Art.
Martin is the author of the McCann’s BIM Guides series of published Revit training manuals.
Stewart began his working life as a junior draughtsman, and progressed through to Design Director leading a studio of designers working on both 2D and 3D projects.
He then ‘took the plunge’, and began working for himself. For over 25 years, he completed around 100 design projects per year for a myriad of clients, including household names such as Vauxhall and McDonalds.
Stewart is an expert user of a range of Autodesk applications, including Revit, AutoCAD, 3ds Max and AutoCAD Plant 3D. He also specialises in the production of architectural and product rendered images using tools such as V-Ray.
More recently, Stewart has focused on training. He has been an Autodesk Certified Instructor (ACI) since 2010. In between courses he continues to carry out project work to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and practices.
Outside of work, Stewart enjoys music (he runs the sound desk for a number of local bands), reading and playing with any new piece of technology he can lay his hands on!
Working with detail components and managing details
- Creating a 2D detail component
- Creating and editing detail component groups
- Managing a library of typical details
Working with rebar
- Adding 3D rebar to beams and columns
- Adding reinforcement to walls and slabs
Working with families
- Creating a slab on metal deck
- Creating a precast hollow core slab
- Creating a tapered moment frame
- Creating a tapered moment frame
- Creating a 3D steel gusset plate
- Working with steel stiffeners
- Creating a stepped footing
- Modifying an open web joist
- Creating a new truss from the library
Exploring analytical tools
- Working with the analytical model
- Adjusting the analytical model
- Checking for analytical consistencies
- Adding and modifying boundary conditions
Working with clients and consultants using DWG files
- Importing and exporting from/to AutoCAD
- Importing and exporting from/to AutoCAD Architecture
Working with clients and consultants using Revit Architecture
- Linking Revit models
- Coordinating and monitoring changes
- Checking and fixing interference conditions
- Creating and using worksets
- Managing worksets
Sharing your design using DWF
- Importing and publishing using DWF format
- Working with DWF markup files
Importing and exporting data with IFC format
- Importing and exporting with IFC format
Discounts and bundles
To make your Revit training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted Revit training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) Revit training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Revit training for less.
Revit training bundle
- Revit Essentials (3 days)
- Advanced Revit for Structures (2 days)
for £995 + VAT, saving £125 + VAT.
The bundle price is applied automatically when you book the two courses.
If you book multiple course places, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Revit course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
- Delegates self-funding their training for career progression purposes.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for training bundles or on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a course for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC).
- Be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.
When you attend Revit training at Armada, you’re not assessed. Our courses have been developed to teach you skills you can use in the real world, not pass an exam. Separately, and in addition to our training, you have the option of taking a certification exam that leads to an industry-recognised credential in Revit.
For Revit Structure, there is just one level of exam available: Autodesk Certified Professional.
Successful candidates receive:
- A personalised e-certificate (PDF) from Autodesk confirming their Revit-certified status.
- An official Autodesk-Certified badge that you can use to market your skills, e.g. on your business cards, in your email signature, on your website, etc.
- The option of appearing in Autodesk’s publicly-accessible database of certified Revit users.
Autodesk Certified Professional (ACP) exam in Revit Structure
Covers a broad range of skills and requires you to perform complex tasks and design challenges in Revit relating to structural engineering.
- Qualification: Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit Structure.
- Cost of exam: £150 + VAT per candidate.
- Length of exam: 2 hours.
- Recommended preparation: Attend Advanced Revit training for Structures, and have approximately 50 hours’ experience using the application.
- Further details: download exam guide.
No practice test is available for the Revit Structure ACP exam.
When can I take my exam?
You can take your exam in one of our regular exam sessions.
2019/2020 exam dates: 20 Sep, 25 Oct, 13 Dec, 31 Jan, 27 Mar, 22 May, 24 Jul, 25 Sep, 27 Nov.
Start time: 2pm.
Exam sessions are hosted at our Saxon Business Park, Bromsgrove centre.
Further details about Autodesk certification can be found at: