Intermediate-level SketchUp training course, teaching existing users how to use more sophisticated features, and become more productive.
Building on the basics, this course teaches how to use commands for producing 3D models and visualisations of the quality associated with more expensive applications. Sessions include:
- Further 3D modelling techniques.
- Creating and editing textures, scenes and styles.
- UVW mapping.
plus many more. Click here to see the full course syllabus.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures and comprehensive sanitisation implemented.
We continue to offer all courses in our popular live online format.
Upcoming course dates
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for anyone who wants to begin designing and producing visualisations using SketchUp running on a Windows computer or a Mac.
This course is for existing SketchUp users who want to take their use of the application to the next level.
You should be familiar with the fundamentals of SketchUp , i.e. have attended Introduction to SketchUp training or have equivalent knowledge through other means.
SketchUp courses are hosted by experts in 3D design, CGI and the production of visualisations and rendered images. See Expert trainers.
SketchUp training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for SketchUp, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of SketchUp training. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following SketchUp training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their SketchUp trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Delegates should be familiar with the fundamentals of SketchUp, i.e. have attended our Introduction to SketchUp course or have equivalent knowledge.
Training is based primarily on SketchUp 2021, running on Windows or Mac. It is relevant to users of SketchUp 2016 or later.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request SketchUp training available
Intermediate SketchUp training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request SketchUp training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for SketchUp training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Intermediate SketchUp course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Intermediate SketchUp training courses are hosted by:
Rod has over 25 years’ experience working as a designer, visualisation expert and artist. His specialist areas include architecture, interior design and the production of photorealistic 3d virtual environments.
AutoCAD, 3ds Max and SketchUp have been the mainstay of Rod’s professional work for 20 years. He is also an expert in various related tools and technologies, including Photoshop, and he has expert knowledge of a wide range of renderers, including V-Ray, ART, Arnold and LightUp.
Rod has extensive experience training experience. He has worked as a Senior Lecturer at the University of Westminster on their Computer Visualisation course, and he is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor.
Away from his professional work, Rod is an accomplished artist and musician, and a prolific writer of novels, novella, poetry and prose.
Stewart began his working life as a junior draughtsman, and progressed through to Design Director leading a studio of designers working on both 2D and 3D projects.
He then worked for himself for over 25 years, completing around 100 design projects per year for a myriad of clients, including household names such as Vauxhall and McDonalds.
More recently, Stewart’s focus has been on training. He has been an Autodesk Certified Instructor since 2010, hosting courses in AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds Max, AutoCAD Plant 3D and SketchUp.
In between courses, Stewart uses these applications professionally when carrying out project work for clients. Using the applications regularly helps him to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and practices. He also specialises in the production of photorealistic rendered images and visualisations using renderers including V-Ray.
Outside of work, Stewart enjoys music (he runs the sound desk for a number of local bands), reading and playing with any new piece of technology he can lay his hands on!
Beyond the basics – what is possible in SketchUp?
Advanced selection techniques
2D to 3D
Controlling segments and face counts
Using Follow Me for Detailed modelling
Using Push Pull techniques
Tags and protocols
Choosing groups or components
Managing your textures
Controlling transition speed and delays
Tabs and updates
Understanding the Scenes Manager
Changing and updating scenes
Output for video
Getting to understand styles better
Saving and editing styles
Incorporating your style into your scene
2D graphics out
3D models out
Shortcuts for getting around SketchUp
Zoom, pan and rotate
Move, copy and scale
Where and how to add shortcuts
Understanding implied intersections
Magic Box modelling technique
Polygon modelling techniques
Projected UVW mapping
Adjusting mapping size
Adjusting mapping position
Mapping UVW origin
Shadows and daylight control
Using alpha channels
Preparing graphics with alpha channels
People and trees
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a SketchUp course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the SketchUp training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Intermediate SketchUp courses are presented by expert instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using SketchUp.
- If you don’t have access to SketchUp software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.
Discounts and bundles
To make your SketchUp training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted SketchUp training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) SketchUp training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get SketchUp training for less.
SketchUp training bundle
Book places on:
for £895 + VAT (classroom-based) or £645 + VAT (live online training), saving £140 + VAT in both cases.
The bundle price will be applied automatically when you add these two courses to your basket.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled SketchUp course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Adobe Authorised Training Centre (AATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.