Learn to create custom textures, materials and styles that you can use in your SketchUp models, adding sophistication to your scenes
SketchUp offers a range of textures as standard, but it probably doesn’t have everything you’re looking for. This course teaches advanced techniques for creating custom textures, materials and styles that you can use in your SketchUp models.
Advanced Textures and Styles in SketchUp training is arranged on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group. Your training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures implemented – reduced numbers, social distancing, you won’t sit next to anyone else, comprehensive sanitisation.
We continue to offer all courses in our popular live online format.
Advanced Textures and Styles in SketchUp courses are hosted by Rod Cleasby, a highly experienced instructor who uses SketchUp extensively in his professional work.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A comprehensive training guide for SketchUp, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of SketchUp training. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following SketchUp training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their SketchUp trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Delegates should be familiar with the fundamentals of SketchUp, i.e. have attended our Introduction to SketchUp course or have equivalent knowledge.
Training can be based on any recent version of SketchUp to suit you, running on Windows or Mac.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this as a ‘closed course’ for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these times to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for SketchUp training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request Advanced Textures and Styles in SketchUp course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request Advanced Textures and Styles in SketchUp course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Rod has over 25 years’ experience working as a designer, visualisation expert and artist. His specialist areas include architecture, interior design and the production of photorealistic 3d virtual environments.
AutoCAD, 3ds Max and SketchUp have been the mainstay of Rod’s professional work for 20 years. He is also an expert in various related tools and technologies, including Photoshop, and he has expert knowledge of a wide range of renderers, including V-Ray, ART, Arnold and LightUp.
Rod has extensive experience training experience. He has worked as a Senior Lecturer at the University of Westminster on their Computer Visualisation course, and he is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor.
Away from his professional work, Rod is an accomplished artist and musician, and a prolific writer of novels, novella, poetry and prose.
What are textures in SketchUp 3D
The Paint Bucket
Making new materials
Adding new bitmaps
Controlling the size of textures
What makes a tileable texture
How texture maps are made
Practice making tileable textures
Textures for LightUp
Textures for V-Ray
Limits to graphics and bitmaps
How to control sizes
How to mitigate hardware issues
Creating new scenes
Omitting scenes from animation
Using standard styles
Editing styles and updating scene tabs
Creating new styles
Saving new styles
New style names
Adding sky and foreground
Display options for presentation
Display options for modelling
Drawing with endpoints and extensions
Profile options for style management
Purging unused styles
Changing styles pre or post animation
Style changes in animation
Using layers and styles to tell a story
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a SketchUp course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the SketchUp training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Advanced Textures and Styles in SketchUp courses are presented by expert instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using SketchUp.
- If you don’t have access to SketchUp software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.