Advance Steel training
2 days In centre:
Advance Steel training for new users, teaching the key functionality, tools, commands and workflows available in Autodesk Advance Steel for creating detailed 3D steel models.
Working on a sample model being built from the ground up, you’ll learn how to use Advance Steel to create beams, columns, plates, and connection elements such as bolts, holes and welds. You’ll also learn how to produce Bills of Materials, schedules and drawings for your model.
Advance Steel training is arranged on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group. We can provide your training in-class at one of our centres, at your venue, or online.
Your training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing.
Been furloughed? You can still participate in training without this affecting your furloughed status, as confirmed on gov.uk.
In-class or online
In-class courses are now available to book again. We’re taking comprehensive measures to ensure your health and well-being – fewer people in-class, you won’t sit next to another person, comprehensive cleaning. To read more, see Covid-19 measures.
You can participate in this course online, from your place of work or home, at a discounted price. To read about how this works, see Live online training.
Advance Steel courses are hosted by Wendy Sprakes, a highly experienced instructor with extensive experience of using Advance Steel professionally.
Accredited Advance Steel training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our Advance Steel training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Advance Steel training is hosted by Autodesk Certified Instructors.
How will I learn?
Advance Steel training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running licensed Advance Steel software.
There’s plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- Comprehensive training notes, to refer to throughout the course and use as a refresher after.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited Advance Steel training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk.
After course support
Following Advance Steel training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Advance Steel trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Delegates have basic CAD skills, i.e. have attended AutoCAD Essentials training or have equivalent knowledge.
Advance Steel version
Training can be based on any recent version of Advance Steel to suit you.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this as a ‘closed course’ for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these times to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for Advance Steel training can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months.
For further details, see training course payment options.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request Advance Steel course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request Advance Steel course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Wendy Sprakes is an Autodesk Certified Instructor and a qualified teacher (QTS).
Wendy began her working life as a CAD operator, using Medusa, MicroStation and AutoCAD.
Working through the ranks of trainee draughtsman, graduating as a professional Mechanical Engineer, she worked in the Mechanical Handling industry on site and in the drawing office for ten years. She became a Project Engineer then moved into the CAE Industry, working as an engineer in the Fatigue Analysis software industry for clients such as Ford Motor Company and Jaguar Land Rover.
She then went on to qualify as a teacher, and has been hosting AutoCAD courses since 2000. She also has specialist knowledge of Advance Steel.
Away from training, Wendy is an accomplished jazz musician. Her music enjoys regular airplay on both regional and national stations including BBC and JazzFM.
Getting started with Autodesk Advance Steel
- The basics – beams, plates, connections and structures
- The Advance Steel user interface
- Ribbon tabs
- Advance Steel tools
- Advance Steel palettes
- The file and folder structure
- The User Coordinate System (UCS)
- Changing viewpoints and visual styles
- Navigating through the model
- Use of layers
Beams and columns
- Beam features
- Drawing beams individually and using macros
- Cutting and shaping beams
- Notch contours
- Creating plates of all types and shapes
- Cutting and shaping plates
- Flat plates
- Folded plates
- Bills of Materials (BOMs)
- Bolt schedules
- Loading lists
- Locating points in the Drawing Window
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real Advance Steel course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the Advance Steel training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Advance Steel courses are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using Advance Steel.
- If you don’t have access to Advance Steel software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.