MadCap Flare training course teaching controlled migration of your legacy documentation from FrameMaker to MadCap Flare.
Upon completion, you’ll know how to migrate your existing FrameMaker projects to MadCap Flare in a smooth and well-planned way, avoiding the potential pitfalls.
MadCap Flare – Migrating from FrameMaker training is arranged on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group. Your training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures and comprehensive sanitisation implemented.
We continue to offer all courses in our popular live online format.
Accredited MadCap Flare training
Armada’s Flare training is MadCap-accredited.
Courses are hosted by MadCap-Certified Instructor Matthew Ellison.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive an e-certificate confirming successful completion of a MadCap-accredited Flare migration training. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following MadCap Flare migration training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No previous experience of working with Flare is required. You should have a good working knowledge of FrameMaker, i.e. be familiar with the techniques taught in our Introduction to FrameMaker course.
MadCap Flare version
Training can be based on any version of MadCap Flare to suit you.
Standard course times are 9.30am–4.30pm.
As we’d be hosting this as a ‘closed course’ for you/your group, there’s usually flexibility to change these times to suit you, e.g. start or end 30 minutes earlier or later.
Payment for MadCap Flare training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and postponements
If an on-request MadCap Flare – Migrating from FrameMaker course booking is cancelled giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a cancellation fee is payable. View cancellation terms.
If an on-request MadCap Flare – Migrating from FrameMaker course booking is postponed giving less than 20 working days’ notice, a postponement fee is payable. View postponement terms.
Terms and conditions
Matthew has over 30 years’ experience working as a user assistance and eLearning professional in the software industry. Some of this time was spent managing a team of writers and trainers at a UK-based consulting company, before enjoying a period in the US as Director of the WinWriters (now WritersUA) Conference.
Matthew has a B.Sc. in Electronic Engineering and a PGCE. He is a MadCap-Certified Instructor and an expert in many other user assistance tools and technologies. He has also been a part-time lecturer at Portsmouth University for the MA Technical Communication course.
Matthew has been a popular speaker at conferences in Europe and the US for many years. He regularly publishes articles and reviews on user assistance tools and technology.
- Course Overview
- Course Guide
- Preparing your computer for the course
- How FrameMaker features convert to Flare
- Topic-based authoring
- About the sample project
Preparing to migrate
- Updating a FrameMaker book
- Indenting the TOC
- Removing inline formatting
- Importing unused style formats
- Using filename markers
- Setting up Adobe distiller
Migrating FrameMaker documents
- About migrating from FrameMaker
- Best practices for importing documents
- Importing a FrameMaker document
- How many import files do I need?
- About styles
- How styles import into Flare
- Applying a style sheet to all topics
- Specifying automatic page breaks for print targets
- Creating an auto-numbering style
- Resetting an auto-numbering style
Index and TOC
- About the index
- How index keywords import into Flare
- Creating an auto-index phrase set
- About TOCs and outlines
- How TOCs import into Flare
- Creating a master TOC
- About Pictures
- How images import into Flare
- Organising pictures
- Positioning a picture
- Setting a print size for a picture
- Setting a maximum print size for all pictures
- About tables
- How tables import into Flare
- Removing inline formatting
- Applying a table style
- Applying a table style to all tables
- Modifying a table style
Cross references and links
- About cross reference and links
- How cross references import into Flare
- Creating a cross reference
- How links import into Flare
- Creating a link
- Formatting links
- Using pseudo class styles
- Formatting cross references
- About page layouts
- Creating a two-column page layout
- Adding pages to a page layout
- Adding a watermark to a page
- Flare discussion group
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a MadCap Flare course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the MadCap Flare training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online MadCap Flare – Migrating from FrameMaker courses are presented by expert instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using MadCap Flare.
- If you don’t have access to MadCap Flare software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.