Advanced-level course for architects who want to take their use of Revit to the next level.
You’ll learn a range of advanced features and techniques in Revit relevant to architectural design, including:
- Creating complex designs and professional-looking renderings.
- Creating conceptual designs.
- Creating advanced components.
- Collaborating on designs with other team members.
- Techniques for using Revit more productively.
As part of the course we run an open session looking at topics requested by delegates, answering any questions you have and looking at areas you’re having problems with.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures implemented. Where numbers allow, you’ll sit at a desk without anyone sitting next to you.
All courses are available in our popular live online format.
Upcoming course dates
Accredited Revit training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our advanced Revit courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Advanced Revit courses are hosted by Autodesk Certified Instructors, with vast experience of using the application professionally. For details, see Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
Advanced Revit training for Architecture training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Revit.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Advanced Revit training for Architecture delegates receive:
- A highly-practical training guide for Revit, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of accredited Advanced Revit training for Architecture. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
Revit certification exams
When you attend Revit training, you’re not assessed and there is no exam to sit. We teach you practical skills you can use in the real world, not prepare you to sit a test.
If you want to gain an industry-recognised credential in Revit, we offer Autodesk certification exams that you can sit on a future date.
Exams can be sat at our Bromsgrove centre, on online. For further details, see Certification exams.
After course support
Following Advanced Revit training for Architecture, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Revit trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
You should be familiar with the fundamentals of Revit, i.e. have attended Revit Essentials training or have equivalent knowledge through other means.
Revit training is based primarily on Revit 2023. It is relevant to users of Revit 2018 and later.
You must have access to full Revit. Revit LT does not support some of the techniques taught in this course.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Revit training available
Advanced Revit for Architecture training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request Revit training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Revit training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Advanced Revit for Architecture course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Advanced Revit for Architecture training courses are hosted by:
Martin McCann qualified as an Architect in 1986, and he holds a teaching certificate (further and adult education).
He is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor (ACI), a capacity in which he has taught thousands of professionals, including Architects, Structural Engineers and Mechanical Engineers, for over 20 years.
Martin has expert knowledge of Revit, NavisWorks, ReCap, AutoCAD and AutoCAD Architecture, amongst other Autodesk applications.
He has been commissioned by Autodesk on multiple occasions to host sessions for them at locations including New York, Chicago, Moscow, Milan and Munich. He has trained Autodesk’s staff and many other Autodesk Certified Instructors, and has operated as a visiting Lecturer at the University of Northumbria and Cambridge School of Art.
Martin is the author of the McCann’s BIM Guides series of published Revit training manuals.
Stewart began his working life as a junior draughtsman, and progressed through to Design Director leading a studio of designers working on both 2D and 3D projects.
He then worked for himself for over 25 years, completing around 100 design projects per year for a myriad of clients, including household names such as Vauxhall and McDonalds.
More recently, Stewart’s focus has been on training. He has been an Autodesk Certified Instructor since 2010, hosting courses in AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds Max, AutoCAD Plant 3D, Civil 3D and SketchUp.
In between courses, Stewart uses these applications professionally when carrying out project work for clients. Using the applications regularly helps him to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and practices. He also specialises in the production of photorealistic rendered images and visualisations using renderers including V-Ray.
Outside of work, Stewart enjoys music (he runs the sound desk for a number of local bands), reading and playing with any new piece of technology he can lay his hands on!
Importing and exporting files
- Importing and using external files
- Exporting to external files
- Working with linked Revit Architecture projects
- Monitoring and coordinating linked projects
- Working with mass shapes
- Converting mass shapes to building components
Creating advanced components
- Creating and using in-place families
- Creating and modifying component families
- Creating nested families
- Working with component groups
Design and analysis
- Designing in phases
- Using design options
- Running an interference check
- Area plans and colour fills
Revit Architecture worksharing
- Project sharing with worksheets
- Managing worksheets and multiple users
Working with professionals
- Working on a site design
- Working with a structural engineer
- Creating realistic presentations
- Rendering interior scenes using Radiosity
Please note: Course topics may be modified by the instructor based upon the knowledge and skill level of the course participants.
Live online training
Online training lets you participate in a live Revit course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and the other delegates participating in the course…
- Watch our trainer demonstrate techniques in Revit.
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to take control to explain something.
Like our in-class courses, online Advanced Revit for Architecture courses…
- Are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors.
- Give you plenty of opportunity to carry out assisted, practical exercises using Revit.
- Offer 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
All you need is an Internet-connected computer with…
- Revit installed. If you don’t have access to Revit, we can usually send you a link to fully-functional trial software to download and install.
- A webcam and audio capability. If your computer running Revit doesn’t have these, you can use a second device, such as another computer or tablet. See Hardware recommendations for live online training for further details.
If there’s anything you’re not sure about we’ll do our best to help you. We won’t be able to assist with your Revit installation, but we can provide details for Autodesk support who’ll be able to help you with this.
We provide everything else…
- Links to download the files, resources, etc. you’ll use in your course.
- A training guide. For most courses, you can choose from a printed copy that we post to you, or a PDF.
In the week before your course, we’ll send you an email containing everything you need to prepare for and participate in the training. Then, a couple of days before your course, we’ll give you a courtesy call to make sure you have everything in place and answer any questions you may have.
Please note that we are not able to record scheduled online courses for privacy reasons.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time
Discounts and bundles
To make your Revit training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted Revit training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) Revit training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Revit training for less.
Revit training bundle
- Revit Essentials (3 days)
- Advanced Revit for Architecture (2 days)
for £995 + VAT (classroom-based) or £745 + VAT (live online training), saving £95 + VAT in both cases.
The bundle price will be applied automatically when you add these two courses to your basket.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Revit course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.
Revit certification exams, leading to an industry-recognised credential, available to sit online.
Whether you’re a student or a professional, Revit Autodesk Certified User (ACU) status validates your skillset, accelerating career advancement and helping you stand out in a competitive job market.
Successful candidates receive:
- An e-certificate (PDF) from Autodesk confirming your Revit-certified status.
- An official Autodesk-Certified badge that you can use to market your skills, e.g. on your business cards, in your email signature, on your website, etc.
To read more about the benefits of achieving Autodesk-certified status in Revit, read Lyndsay Mann’s blog What benefits does Autodesk certification bring?
Revit online exams
Revit exams are sat online from your place of work or home.
To protect exam integrity, exam sittings are monitored by a proctor from Armada. Your Photo ID will be verified prior to your exam starting.
To sit an online exam, all you need is a computer (Windows or Mac) with:
- A strong Internet connection (min. 5Mbps).
- Screen resolution at least 1200 x 800.
- Chrome browser.
You don’t need to have Revit installed – you’ll access Revit on a virtual computer during your exam. No webcam is required.
Autodesk Certified User (ACU) exam in Revit for Architecture
Entry level exam to validate your knowledge of fundamental concepts and procedures in Revit.
- Qualification: Autodesk Certified User in Revit.
- Length of exam: 50 minutes.
- Recommended preparation: Attend Revit Essentials training training, and have approximately 50 hours’ experience using Revit.
- Further details: download exam guide.
A practice test is available that reflects the questions you’re likely to be asked in your Revit ACU exam. The practice test is taken online, from your place of work or home. The test has two modes:
- Testing mode, which replicates your exam.
- Training mode, which provides step-by-step help on questions.
The practice test can be retaken up to 30 times in a one-year period.
Practice tests are only available for purchase with an exam.
Revit ACU exam: £150 + VAT.
Discounted price available to Armada training delegates: £100 + VAT.
Revit ACU exam/practice test bundle: £200 + VAT.
Discounted price available to Armada training delegates: £130 + VAT.
Revit ACU exam retake: £75 + VAT.
When can I take my Revit exam?
You can take your exam in one of our regular exam sessions.
2022 exam sessions are scheduled to take place on 18 Aug (sold out), 22 Sep, 20 Oct, 15 Dec.
Exam sittings usually take place in the morning, at 10am. We confirm your exam time one week before your sitting.
Booking an exam and payment options
To book an exam, please email email@example.com providing details of the exam you’d like to sit, or call 01527 834783.
Payment for AutoCAD exams can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
Q and A
- What is the pass mark for Revit ACU certification exams?
You will be notified of the pass mark prior to your exam starting.
- When do I find out if I’ve passed?
Immediately, when you complete your exam. You result is displayed on-screen.
- What happens if I do not pass?
You will receive a diagnostic score report that indicates areas for improvement. You may then retake the examination as needed. Should you need to retake an exam, simply re-book. Discounted prices are available for retakes.
- Who can I contact if I have more questions?
Email any questions you have to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Top 10 reasons to get Autodesk certified
- Autodesk professional certification – the power to be remarkable.
- Autodesk professional certification – give you organisation the power to excel.
- Parsons Brinckerhoff case study.
Exam Ts & Cs