Advanced-level course for structural engineers who want to take their use of Revit to the next level.
You’ll learn a range of advanced features and techniques in Revit relevant to structural engineering, including:
- Working with detail components and managing details.
- Working with rebar and families.
- Performing analytical analysis.
- Collaborating on designs with other team members.
- Techniques for using Revit more productively.
As part of the course we run an open session looking at topics requested by delegates, answering any questions you have and looking at areas you’re having problems with.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures and comprehensive sanitisation implemented.
We continue to offer all courses in our popular live online format.
Upcoming course dates
Accredited Revit training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our Revit training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Advanced Revit courses are hosted by Autodesk Certified Instructors, with vast experience of using the application professionally. For details, see Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
Advanced Revit training for Structures training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Revit.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A highly-practical training guide for Revit, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of accredited Advanced Revit training for Structures. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
Revit certification exams
When you attend Revit training, you’re not assessed and there is no exam to sit. We teach you practical skills you can use in the real world, not prepare you to sit a test.
If you want to gain an industry-recognised credential in Revit, we offer Autodesk certification exams that you can sit on a future date.
Exams can be sat at our Bromsgrove centre, on online. For further details, see Certification exams.
After course support
Following Advanced Revit training for Structures, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Revit trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
You should be familiar with the fundamentals of Revit, i.e. have attended Revit Essentials training or have equivalent knowledge through other means.
Revit training is based primarily on Revit 2022. It is relevant to users of Revit 2016 and later.
You must have access to full Revit. Revit LT does not support some of the techniques taught in this course.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Revit training available
Advanced Revit for Structures training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request Revit training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Revit training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Advanced Revit for Structures course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Advanced Revit for Structures training courses are hosted by:
Martin McCann qualified as an Architect in 1986, and he holds a teaching certificate (further and adult education).
He is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor (ACI), a capacity in which he has taught thousands of professionals, including Architects, Structural Engineers and Mechanical Engineers, for over 20 years.
Martin has expert knowledge of Revit, NavisWorks, ReCap, AutoCAD and AutoCAD Architecture, amongst other Autodesk applications.
He has been commissioned by Autodesk on multiple occasions to host sessions for them at locations including New York, Chicago, Moscow, Milan and Munich. He has trained Autodesk’s staff and many other Autodesk Certified Instructors, and has operated as a visiting Lecturer at the University of Northumbria and Cambridge School of Art.
Martin is the author of the McCann’s BIM Guides series of published Revit training manuals.
Stewart began his working life as a junior draughtsman, and progressed through to Design Director leading a studio of designers working on both 2D and 3D projects.
He then worked for himself for over 25 years, completing around 100 design projects per year for a myriad of clients, including household names such as Vauxhall and McDonalds.
More recently, Stewart’s focus has been on training. He has been an Autodesk Certified Instructor since 2010, hosting courses in AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds Max, AutoCAD Plant 3D and SketchUp.
In between courses, Stewart uses these applications professionally when carrying out project work for clients. Using the applications regularly helps him to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and practices. He also specialises in the production of photorealistic rendered images and visualisations using renderers including V-Ray.
Outside of work, Stewart enjoys music (he runs the sound desk for a number of local bands), reading and playing with any new piece of technology he can lay his hands on!
Working with detail components and managing details
- Creating a 2D detail component
- Creating and editing detail component groups
- Managing a library of typical details
Working with rebar
- Adding 3D rebar to beams and columns
- Adding reinforcement to walls and slabs
Working with families
- Creating a slab on metal deck
- Creating a precast hollow core slab
- Creating a tapered moment frame
- Creating a tapered moment frame
- Creating a 3D steel gusset plate
- Working with steel stiffeners
- Creating a stepped footing
- Modifying an open web joist
- Creating a new truss from the library
Exploring analytical tools
- Working with the analytical model
- Adjusting the analytical model
- Checking for analytical consistencies
- Adding and modifying boundary conditions
Working with clients and consultants using DWG files
- Importing and exporting from/to AutoCAD
- Importing and exporting from/to AutoCAD Architecture
Working with clients and consultants using Revit Architecture
- Linking Revit models
- Coordinating and monitoring changes
- Checking and fixing interference conditions
- Creating and using worksets
- Managing worksets
Sharing your design using DWF
- Importing and publishing using DWF format
- Working with DWF markup files
Importing and exporting data with IFC format
- Importing and exporting with IFC format
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real Revit course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the Revit training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Advanced Revit for Structures courses are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using Revit.
- If you don’t have access to Revit software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.
Discounts and bundles
To make your Revit training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted Revit training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) Revit training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Revit training for less.
Revit training bundle
- Revit Essentials (3 days)
- Advanced Revit for Structures (2 days)
for £995 + VAT (classroom-based) or £745 + VAT (live online training), saving £95 + VAT in both cases.
The bundle price will be applied automatically when you add these two courses to your basket.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Revit course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.
Revit certification exams, leading to industry-recognised credentials, available to sit in-centre or online
Whether you’re a student or a professional, Revit professional certification validates your skillset, accelerating career advancement and helping you stand out in a competitive job market.
For Revit for Structures, there is one exam available: Autodesk Certified Professional (ACP).
Successful candidates receive:
- An e-certificate (PDF) from Autodesk confirming your Revit-certified status. Your certificate is available anytime through your Autodesk education account.
- An official Autodesk-Certified badge that you can use to market your skills, e.g. on your business cards, in your email signature, on your website, etc.
- The option of appearing in Autodesk’s publicly-accessible database of certified Revit users. This lets prove your certified status to prospective clients and employers.
Sit Revit for Structures exams in-centre or online
Revit exams can be sat at our Bromsgrove certification centre, on online from your place of work or home.
Our certification centre is located at Saxon Business Park, Bromsgrove.
To protect exam integrity, both in-centre and online exams sittings are monitored by proctors. ID verification is required.
To sit an online exam, all you need is a computer (Windows or Mac) with:
- A strong Internet connection (min. 5Mbps).
- Screen resolution at least 1200 x 800.
- Chrome browser.
You don’t need to have Revit installed – you’ll access Revit on a virtual computer during your test. No webcam is required.
Autodesk Certified Professional (ACP) exam in Revit for Structures
Covers a broad range of skills and requires you to perform complex tasks and design challenges in Revit relating to structural engineering.
- Qualification: Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit.
- Length of exam: 2 hours.
- Recommended preparation: Attend Advanced Revit training for Structures, and have 400+ hours’ experience using Revit.
- Further details: download exam guide.
A practice test is available that reflects the questions you’re likely to be asked in your Revit ACP exam. The practice test is taken online, from your place of work or home.
The test has two modes:
- Testing mode, which replicates your exam.
- Training mode, which provides step-by-step help on questions.
The practice test can be retaken up to 30 times in a one-year period.
Revit ACP exam: £150 + VAT. Discounted price if you’ve attended training: £125 + VAT.
Revit ACP practice test: £50 + VAT. Discounted price if booked at the same time as ACP exam: £30 + VAT.
Revit ACP exam retake: £75 + VAT.
When can I take my Revit exam?
You can take your exam in one of our regular exam sessions.
In-class exam dates: TBC.
Online exam dates: 18 Nov, 2 Dec, 16 Dec.
ACP exams usually take place on afternoons. We confirm your exam time one week before your sitting.
Booking an exam and payment options
To book an exam, please email firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the exam you’d like to sit, or call 01527 834783.
Payment for AutoCAD exams can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
Q and A
- What is the pass mark for Revit ACP certification exams?
You will be notified of the pass mark prior to your exam starting.
- When do I find out if I’ve passed?
Immediately, when you complete your exam. You result is displayed on-screen.
- What happens if I do not pass?
You will receive a diagnostic score report that indicates areas for improvement. You may then retake the examination as needed. Should you need to retake an exam, simply re-book. Discounted prices are available for retakes.
- Who can I contact if I have more questions?
Email any questions you have to email@example.com.
- Top 10 reasons to get Autodesk certified
- Autodesk professional certification – the power to be remarkable.
- Autodesk professional certification – give you organisation the power to excel.
- Parsons Brinckerhoff case study.
Exam Ts & Cs