Learn techniques and best practices for creating dynamic and flexible families and content that can be used in all Revit working environments.
The ability to create families and intelligent parametric content for use in your Revit models helps you realise extensive productivity improvements. This course teaches everything you need to know to begin creating your own Revit families and content.
The techniques you learn cover the basics of family and content creation within Revit, from profile and simple families through to nested fully parametric objects. They are relevant to all disciplines, whether you’re using Revit for Architecture, Structures or MEP.
The training is practical and ‘hands-on’; throughout the course you create your own content that you can take away with you.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures implemented – reduced numbers, social distancing, you won’t sit next to anyone else, comprehensive sanitisation.
We continue to offer all courses in our popular live online format.
Upcoming course dates
Accredited Revit training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our Revit training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Revit MEP courses are hosted by Autodesk Certified Instructors, with vast experience of using the application professionally. For details, see Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
Revit training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Revit.
There is plenty of time to ask questions.
Training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A highly-practical training guide for Revit, to refer to throughout the course, and to use as a refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited Revit training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
After course support
Following Revit training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Revit trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
Whilst prior Revit knowledge is beneficial, it’s not essential.
Training is based primarily on Revit 2022, running on Windows. It is relevant to all recent versions of Revit.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Revit training available
Revit families and content creation training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request Revit training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Revit training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Revit families and content creation training course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Revit families and content creation training courses are hosted by:
Martin McCann qualified as an Architect in 1986, and he holds a teaching certificate (further and adult education).
He is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor (ACI), a capacity in which he has taught thousands of professionals, including Architects, Structural Engineers and Mechanical Engineers, for over 20 years.
Martin has expert knowledge of Revit, NavisWorks, ReCap, AutoCAD and AutoCAD Architecture, amongst other Autodesk applications.
He has been commissioned by Autodesk on multiple occasions to host sessions for them at locations including New York, Chicago, Moscow, Milan and Munich. He has trained Autodesk’s staff and many other Autodesk Certified Instructors, and has operated as a visiting Lecturer at the University of Northumbria and Cambridge School of Art.
Martin is the author of the McCann’s BIM Guides series of published Revit training manuals.
Stewart began his working life as a junior draughtsman, and progressed through to Design Director leading a studio of designers working on both 2D and 3D projects.
He then worked for himself for over 25 years, completing around 100 design projects per year for a myriad of clients, including household names such as Vauxhall and McDonalds.
More recently, Stewart’s focus has been on training. He has been an Autodesk Certified Instructor since 2010, hosting courses in AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds Max, AutoCAD Plant 3D and SketchUp.
In between courses, Stewart uses these applications professionally when carrying out project work for clients. Using the applications regularly helps him to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and practices. He also specialises in the production of photorealistic rendered images and visualisations using renderers including V-Ray.
Outside of work, Stewart enjoys music (he runs the sound desk for a number of local bands), reading and playing with any new piece of technology he can lay his hands on!
The Family Editor
- Getting to know the Editor UI
- Differences between the family and project interfaces
- A guide to selecting the right template
- Family categories
- Working planes – understanding the different options
- Reference lines or planes?
- Setting dimensions as parameters
- Creating additional parameters
Basic family creation
- Creating 2D and 3D geometry
- Family testing
- Family types
- Shared parameters vs family parameters vs project parameters
- Tags and labels
- Catalog creation
- Family type parameters
MEP and other sources of content
- Loading and using 3D objects from other software
- MEP connections
Families and standards
- Background data in families
- COBIE standards
- NBS standards
- Supervised practice exercise to create your own families, specific to your needs
Live online training
Live online training lets you participate in a real Revit course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and see the other delegates participating in the Revit training…
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to control it to demonstrate something.
We endeavour to provide you with the best online training experience…
- Online Revit families and content creation courses are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors, following the same syllabus as our classroom-based courses.
- You receive comprehensive training materials.
- Your training is hands-on. You carry out assisted exercises using Revit.
- If you don’t have access to Revit software, we’ll send you a link to fully-functional trial software that you can download and install.
- You’re entitled to 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time.
All you need is an internet-connected computer and a webcam – see Hardware recommendations for live online training. The setup is simple, but if there’s anything you’re not sure about we’re here to help.
For a limited time, we’re offering discounts for bookings on live online courses.
Discounts and bundles
To make your Revit training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted Revit training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) Revit training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Revit training for less.
Revit training bundle
- Revit Families and Content Creation (2 days)
for £975 + VAT (classroom-based) or £695 + VAT (live online training), saving £145 + VAT in both cases.
The bundle price will be applied automatically when you add these two courses to your basket.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Revit course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.