Dates and booking
Live online training
Revit training for beginners, teaching the concepts behind BIM and key Revit techniques specific to architecture and structural design.
Autodesk Revit provides the tools you need to design, build and maintain high quality, energy efficient buildings. Revit supports BIM workflows, and provides comprehensive features for your construction project.
Revit Essentials training provides a thorough grounding in the application. On completion, you will be able to use Revit to take a project from conceptual through the stages of design, analysis, documentation and visualisation.
In-class or online
Our centres are open for in-class training, with full safety measures implemented. Where numbers allow, you’ll sit at a desk without anyone sitting next to you.
All courses are available in our popular live online format.
Upcoming course dates
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for:
- Architects and building designers.
- Structural engineers.
- General users.
If you’re going to be using Revit for Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing, see Revit MEP Essentials.
Accredited Revit training
Armada is an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC), and our Revit training courses are accredited by Autodesk.
Revit courses are hosted by Autodesk Certified Instructors, with vast experience of using the application professionally. For details, see Expert trainers.
How will I learn?
Revit training is hands-on and practical.
Our trainers teach the necessary theory then demonstrate techniques step-by-step. You then practice the techniques taught on a computer running Revit.
There is plenty of time to ask questions, and you can take away all the files you create.
Revit training guide and certificate
Course delegates receive:
- A highly-practical training guide for Revit Architecture or Revit Structures, depending on the area you want to focus on. You’ll refer to this throughout the course, and it will provide a useful refresher afterwards.
- An e-certificate confirming successful completion of an accredited Revit training course. This is emailed to delegates directly from Autodesk. Click here to see an example of the certificate you receive.
Revit certification exams
When you attend Revit training, you’re not assessed and there is no exam to sit. We teach you practical skills you can use in the real world, not prepare you to sit a test.
If you want to gain an industry-recognised credential in Revit, we offer Autodesk certification exams that you can sit on a future date.
Exams can be sat at our Bromsgrove centre, on online. For further details, see Certification exams.
After course support
Following Revit training, delegates are entitled to 30 days’ email support from their Revit trainer to help with any post-course issues. For further details, see Support.
No prior Revit knowledge is necessary.
Delegates should have a basic understanding of construction principles. If you don’t have this knowledge, we can recommend a book to read ahead of your course.
Experience using a CAD application such as AutoCAD is beneficial, but not essential.
Training is based primarily on Revit 2023.
It is relevant to users of Revit and Revit LT, version 2018 and later.
Our guarantees to you
- A price guarantee that you’re getting the best value for money.
- A training guarantee that you’ll learn the concepts and skills you need.
On-request Revit training available
Revit Essentials training is also available on-request, i.e. one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group, hosted at one of our centres, your venue or online.
On-request Revit training can be tailored to take into account any existing knowledge you have, and the work you’re going to be doing. Please contact us for a quote.
Payment for Revit training can be made by:
- Bank transfer. Please call 01527 834783 for our bank details.
- Card. All major credit and debit cards accepted. Payment can be made securely online or over the phone. Card payments are processed by Stripe. Armada doesn’t record or store your card details.
If you’re self-funding your training, you can pay in staged payments, interest-free, over 12 months. For further details, see Staged payments.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies or public sector organisations.
Cancellations and transfers
You can cancel a booking on a scheduled training course, or transfer to a later course, without penalty providing you give us 10 working days’ notice. Any fees already paid will be refunded.
If you cancel a booking on a scheduled Revit Essentials course giving less than 10 working days’ notice, or request a transfer to a later course, a cancellation/transfer fee is payable. The fee charged depends on the notice period given. For details, see cancellation terms.
Different terms apply for the cancellation or postponement of an on-request course (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group). For details, see course cancellations.
Terms and conditions
Training course bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
Revit Essentials training courses are hosted by:
Martin McCann qualified as an Architect in 1986, and he holds a teaching certificate (further and adult education).
He is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor (ACI), a capacity in which he has taught thousands of professionals, including Architects, Structural Engineers and Mechanical Engineers, for over 20 years.
Martin has expert knowledge of Revit, NavisWorks, ReCap, AutoCAD and AutoCAD Architecture, amongst other Autodesk applications.
He has been commissioned by Autodesk on multiple occasions to host sessions for them at locations including New York, Chicago, Moscow, Milan and Munich. He has trained Autodesk’s staff and many other Autodesk Certified Instructors, and has operated as a visiting Lecturer at the University of Northumbria and Cambridge School of Art.
Martin is the author of the McCann’s BIM Guides series of published Revit training manuals.
Stewart began his working life as a junior draughtsman, and progressed through to Design Director leading a studio of designers working on both 2D and 3D projects.
He then worked for himself for over 25 years, completing around 100 design projects per year for a myriad of clients, including household names such as Vauxhall and McDonalds.
More recently, Stewart’s focus has been on training. He has been an Autodesk Certified Instructor since 2010, hosting courses in AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds Max, AutoCAD Plant 3D, Civil 3D and SketchUp.
In between courses, Stewart uses these applications professionally when carrying out project work for clients. Using the applications regularly helps him to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and practices. He also specialises in the production of photorealistic rendered images and visualisations using renderers including V-Ray.
Outside of work, Stewart enjoys music (he runs the sound desk for a number of local bands), reading and playing with any new piece of technology he can lay his hands on!
Andy has worked in CAD for over 30 years in roles including Draughtsman, CAD System Manager, Project Manager and Design Engineer.
In recent years, Andy has focused on developing and delivering training courses. He is a long-established Autodesk Certified Instructor (ACI), and he focuses primarily on Autodesk applications including AutoCAD, Inventor, Fusion 360, 3ds Max and Sketchbook, as well as Dassault Systemes SolidWorks.
Andy continues to undertake project work to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and practices. He specialises in modelling complex 3D designs from prototype to production, including the development of visuals and animations for a range of engineering projects.
Industries in which Andy has significant experience include aerospace, defence and automotive.
Nebille studied architecture at University, achieving a high-grade BSc and an MSc distinction.
Over the last 20 years, he has worked for architectural practices, local authorities and numerous blue-chip clients in the construction and related industries.
Roles Nebille has carried out include Architectural Technician, Visualiser/Animator, Revit/BIM Coordinator, Software Developer and Consultant. He specialises in project setup, family creation and team structures/collaboration.
Alongside his hands-on work, Nebille hosts regular courses in 3ds Max, AutoCAD, Revit and NavisWorks. He has been an Autodesk Certified Trainer since 2006.
As a registered architect, Calum has 30 years’ experience delivering technically challenging, multi-disciplinary design and construction projects using applications including AutoCAD and Revit.
Calum has lead implementation, development, sales and training teams in a CAD environment. He has a deep level of understanding of AutoCAD and Revit. As well as hosting training courses, he has significant experience presenting and demonstrating Autodesk’s solutions to clients at public events, advising clients on the implementation of Autodesk applications within their practices and troubleshooting issues that arise.
Away from training, Calum enjoys keeping fit by swimming, participating in watersports, running and hillwalking. When not participating himself, he supports his children in their competitive sporting activities.
Michael Sean Nugent
Michael is a multi-disciplined CAD designer, draughtsman and instructor with over 15 years’ experience.
He is an Autodesk Certified Instructor with specialist knowledge of a variety of popular Autodesk applications including AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Inventor and Revit. He’s also an expert user of Trimble SketchUp and PTC Creo (Pro Engineer).
When not hosting courses, Michael carries out CAD design work in a wide variety of industries including manufacturing, architecture, construction and engineering.
Away from training and designing, Michael enjoys spending time with his dog, keeping fit, catching up on the latest TV series and socialising with friends and family.
Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Introduction to BIM
- Exploring the user interface
- Working with Revit elements and families
Viewing the structural model
- Working with views
- Controlling object visibility
- Working with elevation and section views
- Working with 3D views
Starting a new project
- Setting up a project
- Setting up view templates
- Defining discipline settings
- Importing typical DWG details
- Linking a Revit model
- Coordinating linked projects
- Adding and modifying levels
- Creating and modifying grids
Detailing and drafting
- Creating callout views
- Text and tags
- Detail views
- Drafting views
- CAD details
Annotations and schedules
- Adding dimensions
- Working with text and tags
- Creating legends
- Working with schedules
- Working with sheets and title blocks
- Printing sheets
- Exporting content to CAD formats
The Basics of the Building Model – columns and walls
- Adding and modifying walls
- Working with compound and vertically compound walls
- Using Editing commands
- Working with doors
- Adding and modifying windows
- Adding floor framing
- Beams and beam systems
- Structural steel frames
- Structural concrete beams
Floors and roofs
- Adding floors
- Creating roofs and adding structural framing
- Adding foundations
Stairs and ramps
- Creating stairs
- Creating ramps
Loading Additional Building Components
- Adding and modifying component families
Viewing the Building Model
- Managing views
- Controlling object visibility
- Working with section and elevation views
- Creating and modifying 3D views
Dimensions and constraints
- Working with dimensions
- Applying and removing constraints
Developing the building model
- Creating and modifying floors
- Adding and modifying ceilings
- Adding and modifying roofs
Presentation and visualisation techniques
- Working with graphics
- Enhancing views
Live online training
Online training lets you participate in a live Revit course from your place of work or home.
We do everything possible to make your online training experience as close as possible to actually being in the classroom. You can:
- See and hear our trainer, and the other delegates participating in the course…
- Watch our trainer demonstrate techniques in Revit.
- Interact by speaking, using chat, or raising your ‘virtual hand’ if you need assistance.
- Share your screen with our trainer, and allow them to take control to explain something.
Like our in-class courses, online Revit Essentials courses…
- Are presented by Autodesk Certified Instructors.
- Give you plenty of opportunity to carry out assisted, practical exercises using Revit.
- Offer 30 days’ email support from your trainer.
All you need is an Internet-connected computer with…
- Revit installed. If you don’t have access to Revit, we can usually send you a link to fully-functional trial software to download and install.
- A webcam and audio capability. If your computer running Revit doesn’t have these, you can use a second device, such as another computer or tablet. See Hardware recommendations for live online training for further details.
If there’s anything you’re not sure about we’ll do our best to help you. We won’t be able to assist with your Revit installation, but we can provide details for Autodesk support who’ll be able to help you with this.
We provide everything else…
- Links to download the files, resources, etc. you’ll use in your course.
- A training guide. For most courses, you can choose from a printed copy that we post to you, or a PDF.
In the week before your course, we’ll send you an email containing everything you need to prepare for and participate in the training. Then, a couple of days before your course, we’ll give you a courtesy call to make sure you have everything in place and answer any questions you may have.
Please note that we are not able to record scheduled online courses for privacy reasons.
When you attend live online training, you’re participating in a real course, hosted by a real trainer, in real time
Discounts and bundles
To make your Revit training as affordable as possible, we offer:
- A discounted Revit training bundle.
- A range of training discounts on our scheduled (public) Revit training courses.
- A price guarantee that you won’t get Revit training for less.
Revit training bundle
- Revit Essentials (3 days)
- Advanced Revit for Architecture (2 days), Advanced Revit for Structures (2 days) or Revit Families and Content Creation (2 days)
for £995 + VAT (classroom-based) or £745 + VAT (live online training), saving £95 + VAT in both cases.
The bundle price will be applied automatically when you add these two courses to your basket.
If you book multiple places on any courses, we can offer you:
- 10% discount if you book two places.
- 15% discount if you book three or four places.
- 20% discount if you book five or more places.
This can be for several people attending one course, one person attending several courses, or a combination.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and live online training.
We offer a 10% discount on scheduled Revit course places to:
- Students, teachers and lecturers.
- People who work for a registered charity.
- ISTC members.
These discounts are available for both classroom-based courses and remote training.
Please call us if you qualify for a discount. Evidence of your status that entitles you to a discount may be requested.
Terms and exclusions
Only one of the above discounts can be applied to any booking.
The above discounts are not available for on-request course bookings (one-to-one training or a ‘closed course’ for your group).
When you book training with Armada, we want you to be certain that you’re not paying over-the-odds. So, if you book a place on any scheduled (public) course and then find the same course at a lower price elsewhere, we will match that price.
To qualify for the price match:
- The course you find must be comparable. By this we mean it must:
- Cover the same subject.
- Be the same duration or longer.
- Hold the same accreditations as our course, i.e. it must be provided by an Autodesk Authorised Training Centre (ATC).
- For classroom-based courses, be in the same region, i.e. within 50 miles of our centre.
- For online training, be a live course, i.e. not pre-prepared e-learning content.
- The lower price must be advertised on the other company’s website.
To claim a price match, just call any time before attending your course and tell us where you saw the price.
Revit certification exams, leading to an industry-recognised credential, available to sit online.
Whether you’re a student or a professional, Revit Autodesk Certified User (ACU) status validates your skillset, accelerating career advancement and helping you stand out in a competitive job market.
Successful candidates receive:
- An e-certificate (PDF) from Autodesk confirming your Revit-certified status.
- An official Autodesk-Certified badge that you can use to market your skills, e.g. on your business cards, in your email signature, on your website, etc.
To read more about the benefits of achieving Autodesk-certified status in Revit, read Lyndsay Mann’s blog What benefits does Autodesk certification bring?
Revit online exams
Revit exams are sat online from your place of work or home.
To protect exam integrity, exam sittings are monitored by a proctor from Armada. Your Photo ID will be verified prior to your exam starting.
To sit an online exam, all you need is a computer (Windows or Mac) with:
- A strong Internet connection (min. 5Mbps).
- Screen resolution at least 1200 x 800.
- Chrome browser.
You don’t need to have Revit installed – you’ll access Revit on a virtual computer during your exam. No webcam is required.
Autodesk Certified User (ACU) exam in Revit for Architecture
Entry level exam to validate your knowledge of fundamental concepts and procedures in Revit.
- Qualification: Autodesk Certified User in Revit.
- Length of exam: 50 minutes.
- Recommended preparation: Attend Revit Essentials training training, and have approximately 50 hours’ experience using Revit.
- Further details: download exam guide.
A practice test is available that reflects the questions you’re likely to be asked in your Revit ACU exam. The practice test is taken online, from your place of work or home. The test has two modes:
- Testing mode, which replicates your exam.
- Training mode, which provides step-by-step help on questions.
The practice test can be retaken up to 30 times in a one-year period.
Practice tests are only available for purchase with an exam.
Revit ACU exam: £150 + VAT.
Discounted price available to Armada training delegates: £100 + VAT.
Revit ACU exam/practice test bundle: £200 + VAT.
Discounted price available to Armada training delegates: £130 + VAT.
Revit ACU exam retake: £75 + VAT.
When can I take my Revit exam?
You can take your exam in one of our regular exam sessions.
2022 exam sessions are scheduled to take place on 18 Aug (sold out), 22 Sep, 20 Oct, 15 Dec.
Exam sittings usually take place in the morning, at 10am. We confirm your exam time one week before your sitting.
Booking an exam and payment options
To book an exam, please email firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the exam you’d like to sit, or call 01527 834783.
Payment for AutoCAD exams can be made bank transfer or card.
We accept purchase orders from UK-registered companies and public sector organisations.
Q and A
- What is the pass mark for Revit ACU certification exams?
You will be notified of the pass mark prior to your exam starting.
- When do I find out if I’ve passed?
Immediately, when you complete your exam. You result is displayed on-screen.
- What happens if I do not pass?
You will receive a diagnostic score report that indicates areas for improvement. You may then retake the examination as needed. Should you need to retake an exam, simply re-book. Discounted prices are available for retakes.
- Who can I contact if I have more questions?
Email any questions you have to email@example.com.
- Top 10 reasons to get Autodesk certified
- Autodesk professional certification – the power to be remarkable.
- Autodesk professional certification – give you organisation the power to excel.
- Parsons Brinckerhoff case study.
Exam Ts & Cs
John H T